- Great sound quality, Host of equalisation options
- Limited connectivity
A very commendable micro Hi-Fi system from Kenwood that combines great sound and design with a myriad of sound equalisation options.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Towards the higher end of micro Hi-Fi systems in terms of price, Kenwood's K-701 is a simple product that comes with just a CD player and radio with a pair of two-way speakers. The speakers complement the styling of the CD player to give an overall attractive aesthetic. Also included is a very functional and well laid out remote control.
Setting up this package is an easy task, as would be expected with a micro system. Just connect the speakers to the player with the supplied wiring, and power it up. An auto calibration microphone is included to normalize speaker levels if they are not placed in equidistant positions in the room.
Music playback was better than expected for a system of this size. The middle and upper registers were clear, and with the addition of the D-bass setting, bass was surprisingly good. Everything from opera to rock to dance and pop music sounded great - if we had to pick a fault it would be the lack of very deep frequency response. Again, this is only if we were really pushed to find a weakness, as this system really does produce great sound - especially considering it only has two way speakers.
Music could be pushed to a fairly high volume and there was little distortion present at this range. Sound felt very flat with no equalising, but with the adjustment of a couple of settings a warm and encompassing sound was easily attained.
There is a host of equalisation settings available, including a seven band equaliser, bass and treble isolation adjustments as well as a D-bass setting. With all these of these combined you would be hard pressed not to find a configuration you were content with. On top of this there are three presets to save your favourite settings. Getting lost in this world of equalising is not a problem as it can all be switched off with the press of a button.
There are few connectivity options with the K-701 unfortunately, but for a micro Hi-Fi system this is not too great a concern. There are four RCA ports - three inputs for devices such as a tape deck or record player, and one output. There is also a subwoofer pre output, which is a handy inclusion if you ever wanted to add an extra dimension to the system, as well as AM and FM antenna ports.
The K-701 will certainly appeal to people who are willing to spend a little more for a micro Hi-Fi system in return for great sound quality and a sleek design.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCAndroid developerNSW
- FTPractice Director DevelopmentSA
- FTData ModellingACT
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTPMO Project Coordinator, Multiple projectsOther
- FTCustomer & Sales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsOther
- TPEL1 Business AnalystACT
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- CCI&CS Communications LeadVIC
- CCITSM Integration Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTWorkspace/ Workplace Lead/ Manager - ABW environmentOther
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Network & InfrastructureNSW
- FTLead Business AnalystNSW
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- CCPega LSA - Banking IndustryVIC
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- FTDigital Business Analyst - IntermediateQLD
- FTManager, PortfolioOther
- CCSystems EngineerWA
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTProduct Support ManagerVIC
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- FTTIBCO Integration SpecialistOther
- FTTIBCO iProcess LeadOther