KiSS Technology DP-558
- Wide range of supported formats and connectors, PC connectivity
- No DVD burner
A wide range of supported formats, combined with stylish industrial design, makes the KiSS DP-558 a great hard disk recorder for the power user who doesn't mind recording in MPEG-2 and archiving footage regularly.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
The KiSS DP-558 hard disk recorder and network media player offers desirable features for the power user. The machine's silver front panel would coordinate with the majority of modern home theatre equipment, with a DVD-ROM drive in the middle and a row of buttons on the right.
The machine stands 9cm tall, 43cm wide and 30cm deep, so you will need a relatively large entertainment unit to house it. The rear panel features a 10/100 Ethernet port, antenna in and out, SCART in and out, composite, S-Video, component and RCA audio in and out, along with digital (in both coaxial and optical) audio outputs. It offers progressive scan output and an 80GB hard disk.
The machine doesn't include a DVD burner to archive recorded footage. However, it does ship with an Ethernet adapter so you can transfer archived programs over the network to a desktop PC and burn from there. The KiSS uses an inbuilt FTP server for the transfer of files between its internal hard disk and a PC. The KiSS also comes with well-designed software called KiSS PC-Link, which allows you to play media direct from a PC without having to transfer it to the KiSS's hard disk.
It plays an enormous range of formats, including DVD Video, Audio CD, VCD, SVCD, and burnt discs containing JPEG images, MPEG-2, DivX, XviD, MPEG-4, WMA, MP3 or OGG files. It can also play any files of these types over a network (using KiSS's PC-Link software) or from the internal hard disk, although it can only natively record video in MPEG-2.
The MPEG-2 encoder produces high-quality footage at the expense of hard drive space. There are six recording modes ranging from Super High Quality at 8Mbit/s (for a total capacity of 21 hours recording time) down to Super Long Play at 1.5Mbit/s (114 hours recording time).
The system employs a comprehensive and well-laid-out menu that is easily navigated via the included black remote control. Time shifting is available, along with the ability to schedule recordings. The machine can call on Network Time Protocol to set the time from the Internet if connected, and the machine automatically looks up CD track listings from the Internet, along with stock and weather information.
Setup takes just a few minutes, and after selecting your language, preferred region, output method and aspect ratio, it takes just a few minutes to format the hard disk and tune TV channels.
There are parental control options included along with an electronic program guide, and the machine features a number of elegant touches, like the inclusion of detailed setup instructions and network diagrams in the manual to help get you up and running.
As it stands, the KiSS DP-558 offers myriad features in a robust, easy-to-use package. However, to get the most out of the machine you would have to be comfortable with PCs and networking.
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s Next TV is a Real Frame-Changer
- Express Your Style With Ultimate Ears WONDERBOOM Freestyle Collection
- HomePod review roundup: 'Room filling,' 'best-in-class' sound, but Siri is 'embarrassingly inadequate'
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Apple confirm $499 HomePod for February 9th launch
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTOnsite Support Engineer (sys admin)Other
- FT.Net / SharePoint Developer - GosfordNSW
- FTData ScientistOther
- FTSenior Digital Delivery Manager - Project ManagerACT
- FTDevelopment Expert (EL1)SA
- FTWeb DesignerOther
- TPProject Manager - ICT Infrastructure - SecurityQLD
- FTUX Design Manager (Urgent!!)Other
- FTNetezza Developer - Brisbane locationOther
- FTArchitect - Performance EngineeringOther
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- TPPrincipal Solution Architect | CloudQLD
- FTBI Solution DesignerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSAP CRM ABAP-BRF+ DevelopersOther
- TPSAP Functional Consultant - FinanceQLD
- FTTest AnalystSA
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCTechnology Architect x 3NSW
- FTScrum Master, 726793Other
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTCampaign ManagerOther
- CCFull-Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTManager Information ServicesQLD
- CCJava Full Stack DeveloperVIC