Kogan Technologies EziNav GPS
A great (if somewhat tacky) budget GPS unit.
- Bluetooth, red light and speed camera alerts, multimedia playback
- Ugly design, slow map redraw rates, poor speaker quality, no SUNA traffic compatibility
Kogan's EziNav GPS device is a great option for those who need GPS navigation but don't want to pay an inflated price.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
Part of the company's competitive line-up of inexpensive products, Kogan's EziNav GPS is a great budget GPS unit. It offers a positive navigation experience as well as a few extra features.
Something immediately noticeable about the EziNav GPS unit is its lack of style, however. The device screams "budget" — from the mysterious lack of "Kogan" branding anywhere on the unit's packaging, to the tacky design and plastic feel of the unit itself.
Fortunately, although style may have suffered, the feature set hasn't. Despite a bargain bin asking price, the EziNav boasts red light and speed camera alerts, integrated Bluetooth and multimedia playback. The lack of SUNA traffic compatibility and text-to-speech navigation may deter purchasers, but the EziNav GPS unit boasts all you need for basic navigation.
Though the main menu's colour scheme is questionable, it is easy to use, with large buttons and a simple set of options that cater to novices. The navigation screen itself is somewhat cluttered, however. The EziNav GPS device uses Nav N Go's iGo My Way for navigation, a Windows CE-based solution commonly used in PDAs.
Keyboard input is surprisingly responsive, and there is none of the keystroke lag that some budget models suffer from. As the user types an address the letters that do not correspond to possible addresses are eliminated, eventually leading to five or fewer choices from which the user can pick the desired destination.
Equipped with the SiRF Atlas-III processor found in Magellan's Maestro 4250 — built on the ever-popular SiRFStarIII GPS receiver — the unit is generally fast enough for normal navigation use. GPS signal acquisition averaged just under 3min from a cold start, with warm starts halving acquisition times to 1min 30sec. Routing calculation times were also quite fast, with the EziNav GPS unit able to provide a route to the desired destination within 10sec.
There are some issues with map redraw rates when zooming in or out, but for the most part the user interface is very responsive.
A Media option in the device's core menu offers users the choice of listening to music or viewing pictures, movies or e-books. The EziNav GPS's format support is acceptable, but the quality of the speaker and screen make the device unsuitable for frequent use as a multimedia device.
Bluetooth connectivity is included and it is implemented well. We managed to pair the device with an iPhone 3G. Audio quality during calls is decent, though the speaker distorts at high volume levels, which can be an issue when attempting to raise the volume above road noise or a noisy engine. The call recipient also observed a humming noise during our test calls, though surprisingly they did not hear their own voice echoing regardless of the speaker volume level.
Though its brand and design might deter some people, the EziNav is a great budget GPS unit for basic navigation.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 2 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 3 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 4 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
- 5 iPhone 8: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Latest Spartan sports watches hit the scene
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
- Google's Pixel Launcher leak hints at the demise of the Nexus brand
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPService Delivery ManagerACT
- FTIntegration DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- FTChange ManagerOther
- CCSenior Data governance consultantVIC
- FTProblem Engineer - J2EE - TelcoVIC
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)SA
- CCDigital Content ExecutiveNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Logistics/TransportOther
- CCBusiness Analyst (Finance/Grants)QLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- TPSCRUM MasterVIC
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)WA
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTDevOps Support EngineerOther
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTRecords AnalystOther
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther
- FTDevops Engineer X 2 positionsOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- TPBusiness Continuity Senior Associate/ IT AuditNSW