Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR
This cut-price personal video recorder lets you watch and record high-definition digital television
- Ridiculously low cost, simple operation
- Adding recording capability ups cost, no optical audio output
Kogan's Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR is a simple, cheap and trouble-free way to watch digital television. The ability to record digital television programs (with the help of a USB-connected external hard drive or flash drive) is fantastic given the $100 price-point.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
The Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR lets you watch high-definition digital television on a non-digital TV. You can also plug in an external hard drive or flash drive to record TV shows. At under $100 this set-top box represents great value for anyone wanting to upgrade to digital television.
The Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR isn't physically impressive — it’s a squat, grey box with an old-school LCD screen on the front. There's also a front-mounted USB port that lets you plug in external storage for recording TV shows and time-shifting (pausing, rewinding and fast forwarding TV broadcasts). The rear of the digital set-top box has a range of video and audio outputs; we used the HDMI output to connect the Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR to a Tyagi Max19 LCD television, but analog inputs for connecting older devices are also available (composite and component connectors). There is a coaxial digital output, but no optical audio output means so the Kogan PVR is a bad choice if you’re connecting an external home theatre audio system without a coaxial connector.
The interface of the Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR isn’t exactly colourful or lush, but we weren’t expecting much from a $99 system. A low-resolution white-on-blue GUI is rather ugly, but it is easy to see from across the room. The menu is relatively easy to understand, and the lag between pressing a button and the interface responding is bearable. A comprehensive scan for channels took a little longer than five minutes, and the set-top box successfully found all digital television channels in our area.
The Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR has a rudimentary electronic program guide, although the low-resolution interface doesn’t allow a great deal of information to be displayed. Three built-in games available from the PVR's menu — Othello, Tetris and Sudoku — allow you to pass the time during ad breaks, but won't hold your attention for long due to high remote control latency making gameplay frustrating.
Picture and audio quality from the Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR are perfectly acceptable for digital television broadcasts. The highest supported resolution is 1080i, which is also the highest resolution used for digital TV broadcasts in Australia.
If you plug in an external hard drive or flash drive you can display JPEG photos and play MP3 files, although they are loaded slowly. Attaching storage also let you time-shift and record TV. You can easily record files and transport them to your computer (in .TS format, although transcoding to more popular formats is easy with a third-party video converter), making the Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR a fantastically versatile product for its asking price.
We used a 160GB hard drive, but drives up to 1TB are supported. Buying a large hard drive for the Kogan HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR will add significantly to its cost. You can pick up a 320GB external hard drive from an electrical discount store and keep the overall cost under $200, however.
For the price, Kogan's HD Digital Set-Top-Box with PVR is an impressive product. If it couldn't record TV we wouldn't have given it a second glance, but this helps set it apart from other set-top boxes.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Insights AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure Manager / Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCMachine Learning SpecialistACT
- FTTest Analyst - SAP ERPOther
- TPICT Business AnalystNSW
- TPWeb Analytics DeveloperNSW
- CCHFC Project Manager (Delivery) - 6 mth contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- FTEL1 ICT Team LeadACT
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTICT Solution Architect - Canberra OpportunityVIC
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- FTHPE ALM & Agile AdministratorACT
- CCFull Stack Web DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)WA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTPower BI DeveloperOther
- FTDesktop Support Level 2ACT
- FTSystems Co-ordinatorOther
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantOther
- FTLead Data Engineer - Greenfield projectQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Business Process Improvement - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - Health - 12+ month contractQLD
- CCMid-level Architect/Technical Lead ( Java/J2EE) - Brisbane LocationVIC
- FTSiebel Project Manager - Immediate StartACT
- TPSenior Business Systems AnalystQLD