Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio DAB+ With iPhone Docking Station Deluxe
The Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio DAB With iPhone Docking Station Deluxe has a mouthful of a name and it offers good value
- It's feature rich and great value for money
- Slight distortion at high volumes
Overall we are very impressed with the Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio DAB With iPhone Docking Station Deluxe. Audio quality could be slightly better but it's still a great buy at $199.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio Deluxe DAB+ With iPhone Docking Station Deluxe is, as its name might suggest, a collection of awesome features packed inside a rectangle made of fancy plastic.
It's a mouthful of a name, so we'll stick to calling it the Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio — anything more and we'll get RSI.
The Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio Deluxe features Internet radio (via 802.11b/g or 10/100 Ethernet), digital radio and an iPhone/iPod dock, and it can connect to almost any audio device via its auxiliary port — you'll have no problem plugging in a Creative Zen MP3 player, for example, and a 3.5mm auxiliary cable is included in the box.
The design of the radio is very minimalist. A glossy piano-black finish wraps around the outer shell of the unit while the face is a matte black panel. The face is home to an OLED screen, a dome-style tweeter and a circular control panel. The navigational controls are slightly awkward to use at first; we found the main problem to be with the select arrows, which are in line with the volume controls. It takes some time to learn to avoid hitting the volume controls instead of select controls and vice versa.
The digital radio function worked perfectly. Reception was crystal clear and scrolling through station options was straightforward and easy. FM radio is also available and it uses an old-style telescopic aerial.
The audio of the Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio relies on the afore-mentioned front-facing tweeter and two end-facing mid-range speakers — that is, the left and right speakers don't face forward. The left speaker sits on the left end and the right speaker sits on the right end. This means you can't plonk the radio on a bookshelf or anywhere else where you might want to put objects either side of it. The overall sound quality from these speakers won’t set the world on fire, but playing with the equaliser can make a huge difference.
We tested a variety of different music genres off our iPod — from Scarface (hip hop) right through to Captain Beefheart. We found that hip hop sounded muddy and the mid-tones were overpowered, but a little tweaking of treble and bass helped make the audio clearer. In general the high frequencies didn’t sound as bright as they should have.
This isn’t to say that the audio quality of the Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio Deluxe is terrible. Given the features, price and size, we’d have to say that the audio quality is actually fair — and powerful. Its sound can easily fill a room, but at higher volumes there will be some distortion unless you tweak the bass and treble levels. The Kogan's sound quality isn't as good as some similar priced digital radios such as the Pure One Elite (which also costs $199), but it's definitely louder.
Overall, the features you get for the price are what make the Kogan Wi-Fi Digital Radio Deluxe DAB+ With iPhone Docking Station Deluxe a desirable product — and also a mouthful. For $199, not only do you get a digital radio, you also an iPod dock, Internet radio streaming via Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and even a conventional FM radio. It's a good deal.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCVMware EngineerNSW
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation)NSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Operations ManagerOther
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- TPPrincipal PO|PI DeveloperQLD
- FTNetwork ArchitectVIC
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- FTMiddleware Engineer/ Tibco ActiveMatrix or other ESBOther
- FTAutomation TesterQLD
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCSenior Process SpecialistNSW
- FTSystems AdministratorOther
- CCIT Specialist - System ServicesNSW
- FTService Team LeaderACT
- CCIntegration SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Software Test AnalystOther
- CCData AnalystQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTPL/SQL DeveloperOther
- FTRisk Specialist - 6 month contractOther
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTIT Project Coordinator | Gold CoastQLD