The tiny, free Safe Calculator utility would be useful on the go or when sharing a public computer
- Free, can run from anywhere
- You may have trouble getting help
At any rate, the fact that it doesn't install means that it can run from anywhere, even an external hard drive... so if you've got one file with important information that is for your eyes only, you can make it vanish with Safe Calculator.
Safe Calculator is a neat little utility that pretends to be the basic Windows calculator when you launch it. In actuality, it's a safe that can take a single file and encrypt it, disappearing it into the application itself.
The tiny, free Safe Calculator utility would be useful on the go or when sharing a public computer, when you need to write something down and then hide it.
It's a good thing that Safe Calculator is a simple program, because you may have trouble getting any help using it. We found the feedback form at the app's native website, www.krilome.com, frequently unresponsive. For that matter, the site in its entirety went up and down during our testing period.
As for Safe Calculator itself, it's easy as pie. It doesn't even require installation. All you do is enter the password at any time and click MS, and "safe mode" appears, changing all the calculator buttons to ones that would be useful for an app like this. Then, click on + to store and = to confirm. After that, you can execute the file, bring it back from hiding, or delete it.
It's difficult to figure out why developer Krilome decided to make the utility look like the Windows calculator when not in use, since when you're in "safe mode", the buttons change anyway and it doesn't look anything like a calculator. Why not make a safe app that looks like a safe, instead? Do you really need that extra level of subterfuge?
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
- Nest jumps into home security with Nest Secure
- Master Lock bring new Smart Padlocks to Oz
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTMid-Level Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- TPNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- CCUI DeveloperVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Infra Project ManagerOther
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- TPCyber Security EngineerNSW
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation)NSW
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTCoordinator X2 - Construction, Transport, RailOther
- TPC++ DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior ServiceNow ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTBig Data DeveloperOther
- CCSenior PMO ManagerNSW
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- CCHelpdesk AnalsytNSW
- TPProject Manager/Business Analyst - HPWQLD
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - IntegrationNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerNSW
- FTArchsight Delivery ConsultantVIC
- CCMobile Applications Developer (Brisbane)ACT