KWorld PlusTV DVBT USB Stick (380U)
A USB TV tuner.
- Convenient to install, decodes standard- and high-definition digital channels
- Its interface software is poor, the USB cover prevents the stick from making a solid connection with a USB port
It's an inexpensive single digital TV tuner, but its software is poor and its build quality could be better.
Price$ 84.95 (AUD)
Unlike KWorld's PlusTV DVBT DualView 399U, which is a dual digital TV tuner, the 380U is only a single tuner. It has a USB 2.0 interface on one end and an antenna port on the other end, but it's not easy to install and its software interface, like the 399U's, is very poor.
It's the hardware that's initially disappointing when you pull this device out of the box. A plastic cover extends over the USB end of the device; it retracts to expose the USB end, but it does not retract far enough. It leaves the stick with a rounded edge, so it makes a poor connection with your computer's USB port. It was very wobbly while plugged in. When we used heavy antenna leads we had to always jiggle the stick back in to place. Removing the stick's plastic cover allows it to be inserted a further 1.5mm into the USB slot and gives it much more stable connection.
The software, which is called HyperMedia, is the same interface that is used on the 399U, which means this package also suffers from the same problems as that one. It lacks basic features, is not intuitive, has an unattractive interface, and isn't completely stable. It can be used either in windowed mode, or in a full, media centre–esque interface. Both modes are poorly implemented. Neither mode has an easily accessible control panel when using the full screen; neither mode has an available 'favourites' channel list; neither mode allows you to change recording settings. These are major oversights — you're better off not installing HyperMedia and using different software.
Like the 399U, this stick also comes with a BDA driver, which you can use with Windows Media Centre; we recommend that you do. The stick did find all digital channels in our initial scan, and it decoded standard- and high-definition signals without any problems. HyperMedia's EPG and schedule options were not exactly easy to use when it came to recording. The scheduler can only be accessed in the full mode, not in windowed mode, and it's not as easy to enter a channel, time and date as it should be. The EPG can be used to add programs to the recording scheduler, simply by selecting the program you want, and this works in full mode and in windowed mode. However, the EPG does not show information from all channels together. It will only show the program guide for the channel you are currently watching, which is inconvenient.
Time-shifting can be invoked at the press of a button, but it is hard to navigate as there is no scrubber. You have to go back and forth using the rewind and forward buttons, which is awkward. In addition, time-shifting suffered from stuttering.
There are many other problems the software interface. However, if you plan to use the USB tuner with Windows Media Centre, none of the problems we've mentioned will be a concern.
We wish the unit didn't have the unnecessary cover installed by default, as it means the unit can't make a solid connection with a USB port. However, with a price of $84.95, it's an inexpensive way to add a digital TV tuner to a PC or laptop, but be prepared to suffer if you don't use third-party TV tuner software or Windows Media Centre. Software is also available for the Windows XP-based Eee PC.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- Logitech try to reinvent the keyboard experience with Logitech CRAFT
- First AMD Ryzen Desktop APUs Featuring World’s Most Powerful Graphics on a Desktop Processor
- MSI AM4 Motherboards are now ready for new AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen Desktop Processors
- Intel Xeon D-2100 set to enable new capabilities for cloud, network and service providers
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCDatabase Migration SupportNSW
- CCCisco Engineer - Perth basedQLD
- FTReceptionist/ Front Desk CoordinatorOther
- CCSAP Fiori + UI5 ArchitectVIC
- FTIT Field TechnicianNSW
- FT.Net Developer (Full Stack)Other
- TPSystems AdministratorQLD
- FTMessaging Engineer - Office365 experienceOther
- FTTechnical Support - Level 3ACT
- CCChange Communications Specialist l Port Macquarie NSWNSW
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical SupportACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTData AnalystACT
- CCSenior Test Analyst - Service NowQLD
- CCDigital DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - Regulatory ResponseNSW
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- CCSQL Database AdministratorQLD
- CCCisco Engineer - Perth basedSA
- FTTechnical Infrastructure DesignerOther
- FTApplications Solution ArchitectOther
- FTSAP PI/PO Integration LeadOther