Kyocera FS-1030D laser printer
- Compact, Running Costs, Speed, Setup, Ease of Use.
- Networking not standard, No LCD Display.
The FS-1030D comes well recommended with above average print speeds and quality. Its compact size means it's especially ideal for those with minimal office space.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Kyocera FS-1030D is a double sided mono laser printer that provides value for money for individuals or small workgroups. It features a print speed of up to 22 pages per minute, 1200 dpi print quality and both USB and parallel interfaces. Once again, it continues the use of Kyocera's ECOSYS technology, which focuses on using recyclable consumables to save money.
Many laser printers use an imaging cartridge that integrates a drum, developer and toner into a single unit which is replaced each time the toner is exhausted. Kyocera printers instead feature a ceramic and metal drum with tiny ceramic particles that continually polish the drum during printing. This, Kyocera claim, allows the drum to remain in use for up to 100,000 pages. The initial toner pack will print 3600 pages (5% coverage) and replacement toner costs $129 and will print up to 7000 pages (5% coverage). When the drum has reached its lifecycle, it can't be replaced and you'll need to purchase a new printer.
The FS-1030D is quite compact for a laser printer and measures 378 x 375 x 235 mm, making it ideal if you need to save office space. Alternatively Kyocera offers a cabinet complete with wheels and storage, as an optional extra. The design is fairly straightforward, with only two buttons on the top of the unit sitting below four LED lights, which are used to signify the unit's status (when refilling the paper tray for example). The LEDs also display power, current jobs, paper status and toner levels. There is no on-screen LCD display, so all your printing options will have to be adjusted via your PC.
The printer uses a 250 sheet paper tray, which slides out from the bottom front of the unit. Above this is a 50 sheet multi-purpose tray which sits at a very steep angle when it's open, which can make access a little difficult. The multi-purpose tray can hold A4, A5, B5, Letter and Custom sized paper.
Features and Performance
Just like the FS-2000D installation for these Kyocera models is quick and efficient. We were up and running with the driver installed and the printer connected via USB in a matter of minutes. In addition to the drivers and printing software, Kyocera also includes a library of documentation and manuals for easy reference.
The FS-1030 has 32MB of memory as standard, although this can be upgraded to as much as 288MB. It's a standard duplex printer and worked well printing double sided pages. Network connectivity isn't standard, but it is available as an optional extra. Internal wired Ethernet will set you back $175 while internal wireless networking costs an extra $729 - both act as print servers.
In terms of speed, Kyocera claim the FS-1030D is capable of 22 pages per minute in draft mode and their figures aren't far off the mark. We managed about 20 pages per second in this mode, while a six page duplex document in the same quality managed 44 seconds. It's not the fastest laser available, but the speeds are above average.
The quality of prints the FS-1030 produces are also quite notable. They won't blow you away, but text printing in particular is very good, with clear lines and fine detail. Graphics are also above average, with no major banding to report. Shading is a different matter; the FS-1030D could have done better in this regard, although this is a problem attributed more to laser printers themselves than this actual model.
With a top resolution of 1200dpi (1,800 x 600) the FS-1030D is best recommended for individuals who require quality prints at relatively quick speeds.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceACT
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTDigital Business AnalystACT
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- CCContent AnalystACT
- FTIT ManagerOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Loyalty Program)Other
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTSAP ISU Device management-FunctionalVIC
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTSecurity Engagement SpecialistNSW
- FTTechnical Support SpecialistACT
- CCGraph Database Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTProject Manager - EDRMS ImplementationOther
- FTServer SupportSA
- FTTransition/ Transformation ExecutiveVIC
- FTSenior Tester - HardwareOther
- FTInside Sales SMSF SolutionsOther
- CCTechnical Specialist - Software Asset ManagementVIC
- FTJava DeveloperSA