Laptop Connect Short Term Broadband Hire
Short-term mobile broadband access from $4.95 per day
- Quick and easy to order and set up, convenient, Next G network coverage and speed
- Expensive, 143MB usage limit per day (on average)
The Laptop Connect service is easy to set up and convenient, but it is pretty expensive. It should work out cheaper than Internet cafes and the connections offered in hotels, and it is far more convenient than both of these options.
Price$ 10.95 (AUD)
Laptop Connect offers short-term wireless broadband hire and is the first service of its kind in Australia. It's a quick and easy solution for anyone who needs short-term mobile Internet access and isn't willing to sign up to a lengthy contract. However, it’s a little expensive for our liking.
There are no contracts to sign and the service uses Telstra's Next G network, which is the fastest (and the most expensive) network for mobile broadband in Australia.
You order online and Laptop Connect will post you a USB modem in a reusable package. Once your hire period is over, you simply return the modem via the reusable package. Postage both ways is included in the hire cost.
The software required to use the Laptop Connect service is installed on the USB device itself. This makes it easy to use on multiple computers. The modem also doubles as a USB flash drive: a microSD card slot is located on the left side, concealed by a plastic flap. The service is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS X.
Performance was adequate during our testing, though speeds will depend on your location. In our North Sydney office we managed to achieve download speeds of up to megabits per second, but it regularly hovered around 1.5Mbps. We tested using the Broadband Speed Test. Upload speeds were stable at just under 600 kilobits per second.
The minimum rental period is three days, and this costs $10.95 per day. This price decreases if you're using the service for a longer period, down to $4.95 per day for a month-long loan. Using the service for longer than five days will cost you less than $10 per day. On the whole the service is a little expensive. For example, $15 per month will get you 1GB of data from 3 Mobile. The Laptop Connect service comes with a daily combined upload and download data allowance of 143MB and any excess usage will be charged at Telstra's standard rate of $0.25 per megabyte.
The Laptop Connect service competes with Internet cafes and hotel Internet. It is likely to be significantly more cost effective than most of these services, and it is much more convenient. With the price of mobile broadband continually dropping, though, we're not sure how useful the Laptop Connect service will remain.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Intelligence SpecialistNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- CCAS400 Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTChange Facilitators / Change AnalystsOther
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- FTDigital Marketing Executive - PersonalisationOther
- CCDesktop Engineer - MULTIPLE ROLESQLD
- FTMultiple DevOps EngineersNSW
- TPAutomation EngineerQLD
- FTAgile Digital Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Front End Developer - (Urgent)Other
- TPCyber Security ConsultantNSW
- FTAutomation TesterOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Banking , Finance backgroundOther
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- CC2 x Technical Infrastructure SME - VMware / Storage/ BackupNSW
- FT0365 Consultant - Large Scale O365 ImplementationVIC
- TPIT Cloud EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity Solution ArchitectOther
- FTApplication ArchitectOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSQL DeveloperACT