Laser USB PC Webcam
- Can be used with both laptop and desktop computers, simple to use
- Picture quality isn’t going to blow you away
A cleverly designed and easy to use webcam that also happens to be cheap
Price$ 39.00 (AUD)
The idea of being able to hold a video conversation with someone on the other side of the world is a nice one. These days it's all too easy with the cost of webcams falling and their availability increasing. For many people, a webcam isn't going to be a luxury item anymore. This is where Laser steps in. Laser provides a basic, yet decent webcam at a rock bottom price.
The design of Laser's webcam is pretty clever. Managing to kill two birds with one stone, the camera can be used with both desktop PCs and laptops. This feature if rather convenient for those that frequently move their webcam between the two. The way Laser have achieved this is incredibly simple. The camera is attached to a clip that can either grip on to a laptop screen or to the included stand. Once you've positioned the camera, installation is a breeze. There is very little in the way of included software with the camera, so all that's necessary is to run the setup on the included CD and away you go.
To make things even more simple, to activate the camera all that is necessary is to press the silver button on the front of the webcam. This brings up a menu where you can select the program you would like to use. Laser has included a small application called AMCap. The software's primary function is to record video to disk, which it does fairly easily. Using the camera as an actual webcam can be done easily through programs such as MSN Messenger, where it works simply and effectively.
Nobody is going to be blown away by the picture quality of the camera, but it's by no means bad. The 350k pixel CMOS sensor does the job nicely, allowing a resolution of up to 640x480. The picture quality is clear and crisp though sometimes lags a little. Overall, the camera is cheap, simple to use and of decent quality; everything you'd want in a webcam.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Strategy Consultant - Large CorporateOther
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystACT
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA
- CCProcess LeadNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- FTPython Developer - FinTech/TradingOther
- TPTest Automation ProgrammerNSW
- FTMicrosoft CRM Dynamics Consultant (Mid level)Other
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Java Developer - marketsVIC
- CCTraining and Support LeadVIC
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTRPA Tech LeadVIC
- FTSOE ArchitectOther
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperSA
- CCJunior IT Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTJunior-Mid Infra Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - Agile / DigitalOther
- FTWeb Developer - Full Stack - 3D, VR, WebGLNSW
- FTMiddleware System AdministratorACT
- FTWeb Developer - Drupal 7 or iApplyNSW
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther