Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007
- Better detection of adware and malware, scanning engine is easy on system resources, new interface, existing pro users can upgrade for free
- Nothing of note
Ad-Aware 2007 Free is a solid post-infection tool. If you don't want to dredge up the money to purchase real-time protection with Ad-Aware Plus or Pro, we recommend this free version as a utility that savvy users shouldn't be without. However, as threats become more sophisticated, the real-time protection available with the Plus and Pro versions should be a strong consideration.
An old favourite utility for zapping spyware and adware, Lavasoft's Ad-Aware has just been updated. Ad-Aware now has better detection of adware and malware, a scanning engine that goes easy on your PC's system resources and a snazzy new interface. The updates apply to all three versions of Ad-Aware, which now go by the names Ad-Aware 2007 Free, Plus, and Pro.
None of the new versions of Ad-Aware 2007 currently support the Microsoft Vista operating system. Vista-compatible versions of Ad-Aware 2007 are slated for August, Lavasoft says.
Of all the updates to the Ad-Aware 2007 family, the Free version has received the least in terms of new bells and whistles. Nevertheless, Lavasoft gives users good reason to make the jump from its predecessor, Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition.
In our evaluation of Ad-Aware 2007 Free, we found that the program lived up to its promise of cutting scan time on our PC. For us, this time went down from 7 minutes to 4 minutes. Harder to test was the program's new ability to seek and delete rootkits and other threats that burrow deep into your PC. For that, we take Lavasoft's word when it says earlier versions of Ad-Aware weren't equipped to handle today's threats.
A TrackSweep privacy tool has been added to Ad-Aware 2007 Free and it allows you to remove all traces of your internet browsing from your system. This feature supports the Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera browsers.
Also new, and hard to miss, is Ad-Aware 2007's interface, which is available in all three versions; it adds up to more than just cosmetic changes. Finding tools and tweaking configuration have been made much easier in Ad-Aware 2007 Free, as the navigation menu now brings the most commonly used features within easy reach.
All versions of Ad-Aware have also received an improved handling of definition updates, which now happens as needed - and more often. Older versions of Ad-Aware relied on periodic program updates, and the accumulated changes took longer to download to your PC.
A big advantage of Ad-Aware Plus is the real-time protection of your system that nips in the bud adware, spyware and malware problems before they become serious. Although real-time protection isn't new for the Plus and Pro versions, this feature may still convince you to upgrade.
Ad-Aware 2007 Plus also includes Ad-Watch RegShield, for providing improved protection against attempted Registry changes (the Registry is a favourite target for many forms of malware), Hosts File Editor, for blocking advertisement sites, preventing browser hijack attempts, and offering limited parental controls, as well as The Scheduler, for setting automatic scans and updates.
The Pro version offers further protection, adding tools to identify keyloggers and to stop identity theft attempts, as well as a network function to scan multiple PCs. Existing users of Ad-Aware Plus and Pro will be able to upgrade to the new versions for free.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
- Huawei CEO Talks Up AI Ambitions At IFA
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- First Look: ASUS Newest Notebooks
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPChange Delivery Officer / PMOQLD
- FTData Scientist/Java LeadVIC
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)NSW
- FTios DeveloperACT
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystOther
- CCDatabase AnalystNSW
- FTSenior DevOps Engineer | Leading SaaS Product CompanyOther
- FTBI Service Operations LeadOther
- FTMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTAgile Business Analyst, MarketingOther
- FTFront End DesignerOther
- FTTM1 DeveloperOther
- CCC++ DeveloperNSW
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSAP Change Management LeadOther
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSenior Java DeveloperWA
- CCInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- TPData Migration Developer - SalesforceNSW
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneQLD
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- CCService Delivery AnalystVIC
- FTWeb DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Asset Information OfficerOther