Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus
- Easy to navigate, TrackSweep deletes browser surfing history
- Failed to detect all our active spyware, failed to disinfect our active adware
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus is a definite step up from the freeware version, but its lacklustre performance would send us searching elsewhere for help.
Price$ 40.50 (AUD)
Lavasoft's Ad-Aware 2007 Plus is the paid version of the popular scanner Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Free. Despite Ad-Aware 2007 Plus's name, Lavasoft says that the program combats spyware as well as adware. For the $40.50 price, you get automatic updates, scheduled scans, and real-time protection that's missing from the free product - however, in our tests Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus failed to meet basic performance expectations.
At the time we evaluated it, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus was not available for Windows Vista, so we tested it on a Windows XP machine. (Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus Vista version launched shortly before we went to press.)
In tests performed by AV-Test.org, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus failed to detect (let alone disinfect) nine of our 10 active spyware samples. While Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus uncovered all 10 active adware samples, it disinfected just 35 per cent of their files and Registry entries.
Presented with a massive batch of 110,380 inactive adware and spyware samples, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus's on-demand scanner managed to detect fewer than 2 per cent of them. Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus doesn't provide protection against rootkits, either.
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus detected changes to the Internet Explorer home and search pages. But it failed to detect changes to the Hosts file and additions to the Startup folder.
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus is easy to navigate and its TrackSweep feature erases browser surfing history from Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Opera. Unfortunately, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 Plus's two-pronged design creates needless complications.
You have to configure the Ad-Watch component, which handles real-time monitoring and proactive protection, separately from the rest of the program. Also, the Swedish-based company does not offer telephone support to Australian users.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 2 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 3 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 4 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
- 5 iPhone 8: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- FTAgile Delivery Project ManagerOther
- FTInfrastructure Solutions Architect - Converged InfrastructureOther
- FTUX Researcher - ContractNSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst IEMR Project x 2Other
- FTPersonal AssistantSA
- FTProject Manager (Network & Security)Other
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Analyst, Technical SupportNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- TPTest ManagerQLD
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- FTReporting AnalystQLD
- FT.Net Developer- Active Baseline Clearance RequiredOther
- CCSalesforce Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSystem Analyst - AxwayQLD
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystOther
- FTData AnalystOther