Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition
Security program Ad-Aware is now a decade old, and vendor Lavasoft calls its new version of Ad-Aware the Anniversary Edition.
- Reduced system footprint
- More demanding users should have a closer look at Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition Plus or Pro
As an occasionally used program to support more full-featured antivirus software and a firewall, Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition Free holds some potential. More demanding users - especially those without antivirus programs - should have a closer look at Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition Plus, or Pro. All are worth your consideration.
Security program Ad-Aware is now a decade old, and vendor Lavasoft calls its new version of Ad-Aware the Anniversary Edition. We've taken a closer look at the features of Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition in its Pro, Plus, and Free versions.
Earlier versions of Ad-Aware promised protection against viruses, spyware, Trojans, and other pests. New in the full Pro version of the Anniversary Edition is a heuristic, or behaviour-based, search for these pests.
Thanks to the new Ad-Watch Live feature, which constantly monitors your system, future malware might have more trouble invading your PC.
There are more new features. Scans for malicious software can now be customised in profiles; they can also be carried out on external drives. The new Lavasoft Toolbox allows you to observe all running processes, and it can send suspicious files to Lavasoft. After Ad-Aware scans and removes spyware, all remnants of the infection, Lavasoft claims, should be cleared. In addition, Ad-Aware has now been fully integrated into the Windows Security Center.
Despite the addition of more features, Lavasoft claims that Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition is much more efficient and resource-friendly than its predecessor. According to Lavasoft, the Anniversary Edition consumes 74 percent less memory than Ad-Aware 2008, and CPU utilisation during a scan has been dramatically reduced.
Lavasoft's in-house study compares Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition with its competitors from Symantec (Norton 360), PC Tools, Kaspersky, and AVG. Lavasoft's entry is in second place with memory consumption at idle and in third during real-time monitoring (Norton 360 is the clear winner in each of these), but Ad-Aware consumed the least memory during a scan. In terms of CPU utilisation, Ad-Aware was the most efficient. In terms of scanning speed, PC Tools beat Lavasoft.
The Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition is available in a stripped-down Free version, a Plus version, and a Pro version.
The Pro version has all features installed. The Plus version lacks the new Lavasoft Toolbox, the scanning function, and real-time protection for network drives. The Ad-Watch Live function is also slightly reduced in Plus.
The Free version lacks protection against over 2 million pests; it is not a full-fledged antivirus software replacement. In the Free version, Ad-Watch Live has been further restricted as well: Real-time Registry monitoring and heuristics are completely gone. It's no surprise that technical support and schedulers are also missing from the free version.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Google Daydream View VR Headset
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 2 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 3 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 4 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
- 5 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Google Assistant To Come To Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
- McAfee Labs Previews Five Cybersecurity Trends for 2018
- Man charged in Yahoo hacking case to plead guilty
- Uber confirms massive 2016 data breach
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- CES 2018: Alcatel Embrace 18:9 Aspect Ratio In 2018
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- FTTest ManagerNSW
- FTTeradata Systems Engineer - Financial Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPProject OfficerNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - ApplicationsOther
- CCBusiness Analyst - Business Process ImprovementVIC
- TPChange AnalystVIC
- FTICT Solution ArchitectACT
- CCData Migration Test AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCCyber Security Team/stream LeadVIC
- FTPrincipal Business Analyst - HRISOther
- FTSalesforce Developers x 7Other
- CCSAP Fiori + UI5 ArchitectNSW
- FTProject Manager | 12mth ContractOther
- FTOpenText ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPCRM Dynamics DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerOther
- FTProject ServicesSA
- CCGraduate Reporting/Monitoring AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Network EngineerACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - BI / DWHOther
- FTICT Team Lead - EL1 -Non-OngoingACT