Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition
Security program Ad-Aware is now a decade old, and vendor Lavasoft calls its new version of Ad-Aware the Anniversary Edition.
- Reduced system footprint
- More demanding users should have a closer look at Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition Plus or Pro
As an occasionally used program to support more full-featured antivirus software and a firewall, Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition Free holds some potential. More demanding users - especially those without antivirus programs - should have a closer look at Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition Plus, or Pro. All are worth your consideration.
Security program Ad-Aware is now a decade old, and vendor Lavasoft calls its new version of Ad-Aware the Anniversary Edition. We've taken a closer look at the features of Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition in its Pro, Plus, and Free versions.
Earlier versions of Ad-Aware promised protection against viruses, spyware, Trojans, and other pests. New in the full Pro version of the Anniversary Edition is a heuristic, or behaviour-based, search for these pests.
Thanks to the new Ad-Watch Live feature, which constantly monitors your system, future malware might have more trouble invading your PC.
There are more new features. Scans for malicious software can now be customised in profiles; they can also be carried out on external drives. The new Lavasoft Toolbox allows you to observe all running processes, and it can send suspicious files to Lavasoft. After Ad-Aware scans and removes spyware, all remnants of the infection, Lavasoft claims, should be cleared. In addition, Ad-Aware has now been fully integrated into the Windows Security Center.
Despite the addition of more features, Lavasoft claims that Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition is much more efficient and resource-friendly than its predecessor. According to Lavasoft, the Anniversary Edition consumes 74 percent less memory than Ad-Aware 2008, and CPU utilisation during a scan has been dramatically reduced.
Lavasoft's in-house study compares Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition with its competitors from Symantec (Norton 360), PC Tools, Kaspersky, and AVG. Lavasoft's entry is in second place with memory consumption at idle and in third during real-time monitoring (Norton 360 is the clear winner in each of these), but Ad-Aware consumed the least memory during a scan. In terms of CPU utilisation, Ad-Aware was the most efficient. In terms of scanning speed, PC Tools beat Lavasoft.
The Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition is available in a stripped-down Free version, a Plus version, and a Pro version.
The Pro version has all features installed. The Plus version lacks the new Lavasoft Toolbox, the scanning function, and real-time protection for network drives. The Ad-Watch Live function is also slightly reduced in Plus.
The Free version lacks protection against over 2 million pests; it is not a full-fledged antivirus software replacement. In the Free version, Ad-Watch Live has been further restricted as well: Real-time Registry monitoring and heuristics are completely gone. It's no surprise that technical support and schedulers are also missing from the free version.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- McAfee Launches Industry’s Most Comprehensive Cloud Security Solution for Microsoft Azure
- D-Link ANZ Partners Exclusively with AVSystem for Zero-Touch Device Management in Australia and New Zealand
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
- CES 2018: Google Assistant To Come To Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSnr MS SQL Developer- Australian only- security clearanceOther
- FTSoftware/Application Development EngineerQLD
- TPPMO AnalystACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTScrum MasterOther
- CCProject Manager-SCADAQLD
- CCPega ArchitectNSW
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- FTSenior ETL DeveloperOther
- TPSAP FICO Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTService ManagementOther
- FTSenior Test Analyst - Multiple rolesOther
- TPTraining ManagerVIC
- TPTechnical Support ResourceVIC
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- TPProject Manager | PCIQLD
- FTOrganisational Change ManagerOther
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTIntegration Analyst - Axway/APIVIC
- FTProject Manager - North QueenslandQLD
- TPLinux Automation EngineerQLD
- CCPega Developer / Consultant - Contract - IT ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Wealth/BankingOther
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- TPChange Manager | Finance System ImplementationQLD