Lavasoft Ad-Aware Personal Edition
- Great protection, Breezy interface, Free!
- Does have a few small holes
Probably the best free anti-spyware software currently available. Combine it with a few other freebies and you’ll never be troubled by pop-ups again.
Ad-aware is one of the premiere anti-spyware tools currently available online. It offers a continually updated service which scans your entire hard drive and registry, and best of all it is absolutely free!
We have been using Ad-aware for years as our first choice for spyware removal. Generally we have found it works best in conjunction with other software, such as Spybot Search and Destroy and Hijack This. Whilst Ad-aware does provide the broadest protection against internet nasties (across the freeware choices anyway) it still has a few gaps, but by combining it with other software you can create a formidable wall that will cleanse even the most spyware ridden system.
The Ad-aware interface is quick and intuitive, so even the most computer illiterate person should be able to operate it. In the free version you are only given limited functionality; the ability to scan for updates and then check your system. You can also turn on auto update, which we highly recommend. When scanning, you are given the choice of a full, smart or custom scan. A smart scan will just hit problem areas such as your windows directory, registry and temporary files, whereas a full system scan will obviously cover every file on your machine. We recommend a full system scan at least once a week. The process will take anywhere from five minutes to half an hour, depending on your system's specifications and the number of files that need scanning. We did find that a large chunk of our system resources were in use during the scan, so if you're running a low end system keep in mind you may not be able to do much at the same time.
One of Ad-Aware's strengths is that it finds not only malicious files but also tracking cookies. Most other software will search for spyware programs but skip completely over the registry and internet files, which will still leave traces on your hard drive. With spyware, sometimes all it takes is a single file left on the drive to completely re-infect it, so Ad-Aware's coverage of this area is applauded.
Once your scan is complete, Ad-Aware will give you the option of quarantining the dangerous files. This is extremely useful because occasionally the software may pick up something that isn't actually dangerous at all, or, more commonly, it will pick up a critical file as being dangerous and you won't realise until it is too late. By simply storing the file, it gives you the option to put it back if you find out later it is important. You are also given the option to customise the search. Ad-Aware ranks files based on how critically dangerous they are and so you can set it up so it only finds extreme threats for example, and skips over the basic tracking cookies.
Further protection is offered if you wish to register the software. This will cost you $26.95 US and offers on the go spyware protection. This means Ad-Aware will function similarly to a virus scanner, actively protecting and blocking spyware before it can properly install itself. This will save you the hassle of having to constantly scan and will let you know which sites are the ones infecting your machine.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Agile Project ManagerNSW
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- TPAzure DevOps ConsultantNSW
- FTSales / Account ManagerOther
- TPEL1 Project ManagerACT
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTField Engineers - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer/ LeadOther
- FTProgram Manager - Agile / DigitalOther
- CCSite Support Officer - FIFO - Cape PrestonWA
- CCSAP Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTNetwork and Security EngineerOther
- CCSecurity AdministratorQLD
- CCSCRUM MasterVIC
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTProject Co-OrdinatorOther
- CCCall or Contact Centre OperatorNSW
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTSystems AnalystsOther
- FTMobile Application Developer (Xamarian)Other
- FTJava Implementation EngineerVIC