Lavasoft Ad-Aware Personal Edition
- Great protection, Breezy interface, Free!
- Does have a few small holes
Probably the best free anti-spyware software currently available. Combine it with a few other freebies and you’ll never be troubled by pop-ups again.
Ad-aware is one of the premiere anti-spyware tools currently available online. It offers a continually updated service which scans your entire hard drive and registry, and best of all it is absolutely free!
We have been using Ad-aware for years as our first choice for spyware removal. Generally we have found it works best in conjunction with other software, such as Spybot Search and Destroy and Hijack This. Whilst Ad-aware does provide the broadest protection against internet nasties (across the freeware choices anyway) it still has a few gaps, but by combining it with other software you can create a formidable wall that will cleanse even the most spyware ridden system.
The Ad-aware interface is quick and intuitive, so even the most computer illiterate person should be able to operate it. In the free version you are only given limited functionality; the ability to scan for updates and then check your system. You can also turn on auto update, which we highly recommend. When scanning, you are given the choice of a full, smart or custom scan. A smart scan will just hit problem areas such as your windows directory, registry and temporary files, whereas a full system scan will obviously cover every file on your machine. We recommend a full system scan at least once a week. The process will take anywhere from five minutes to half an hour, depending on your system's specifications and the number of files that need scanning. We did find that a large chunk of our system resources were in use during the scan, so if you're running a low end system keep in mind you may not be able to do much at the same time.
One of Ad-Aware's strengths is that it finds not only malicious files but also tracking cookies. Most other software will search for spyware programs but skip completely over the registry and internet files, which will still leave traces on your hard drive. With spyware, sometimes all it takes is a single file left on the drive to completely re-infect it, so Ad-Aware's coverage of this area is applauded.
Once your scan is complete, Ad-Aware will give you the option of quarantining the dangerous files. This is extremely useful because occasionally the software may pick up something that isn't actually dangerous at all, or, more commonly, it will pick up a critical file as being dangerous and you won't realise until it is too late. By simply storing the file, it gives you the option to put it back if you find out later it is important. You are also given the option to customise the search. Ad-Aware ranks files based on how critically dangerous they are and so you can set it up so it only finds extreme threats for example, and skips over the basic tracking cookies.
Further protection is offered if you wish to register the software. This will cost you $26.95 US and offers on the go spyware protection. This means Ad-Aware will function similarly to a virus scanner, actively protecting and blocking spyware before it can properly install itself. This will save you the hassle of having to constantly scan and will let you know which sites are the ones infecting your machine.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- PC World 2017 Editors' Choice Awards Nomineees Announced
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSystems Engineer - Identity & AutomationQLD
- CCJava LeadQLD
- FTCUSTOMER SUPPORT OPERATOR - NOC ENVIRONMENTSA
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPSAP Migration Module LeadNSW
- FTPortfolio Lead. PMONSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTTechnology Project CoordinatorOther
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCControl Systems SpecialistACT
- FTEnterprise Lean Agile CoachOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTVBA DeveloperOther
- FTScrum Master - Digital / Marketing - CBAOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - ieMR - Digital Health ProgramQLD
- FTInfrastructure Design Engineer, DC Power, CommunicationsOther
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCProperty Project Manager - Office ExpansionNSW
- FTClinical IT Support Consultant - Medication Management - Permanent - North RydeNSW
- FTCyber Security EngineerOther
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCTableau DeveloperQLD