Lavasoft Ad-Aware Total Security
The newest addition to the Lavasoft line of security software
- Simple and straightforward interface. Protects against emerging and unknown threats, not just threats that are already known and found via the use of signatures.
- Might not be worth the extra $20 it costs compared to the Pro version
Is it worth paying $49.95 for Ad-Aware Total Security, when the latest Pro version runs only $29.95? Ad-Aware Total Security includes a number of features missing in the Pro version, such as an email scanner, anti-spam, data recovery, scanning of instant message, a personal firewall, parental controls, and a file shredder. Those are useful, but not necessarily essential, so it may not be worth the extra $20 to you. But if you're looking for an all-in-one security suite, Ad-Aware Total Security is worth a try.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Ad-Aware Total Security ($49.95, 30-day free trial), the newest addition to the Lavasoft line of security software, is an all-in-one suite that builds on the longtime anti-spyware favourite Ad-Aware. It adds anti-virus, rootkit detection, a personal firewall, spam protection, parental control software and more. It's essentially the same software as Ad-Aware Free Internet Security or the $29.95 Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro, with extra capabilities bolted on.
Like the other software in the line, Ad-Aware Total Security includes heuristics detection, and so examines complex system behaviour, rather than just looking for known malware signatures. In this way, it can protect against emerging and unknown threats, not just threats that are already known and found via the use of signatures. New in this version is the Genotype heuristics detection system, which Lavasoft claims is superior to its previous heuristics. PCWorld has not yet tested this product's antivirus feature, and thus cannot offer an opinion about this feature's usefulness.
As with all Ad-Aware products, the interface for Ad-Aware Total Security is simple and straightforward. The main screen displays basic information about the state of your security, including when you last performed a virus check and when you last updated the program and anti-virus signatures. There's also a tabbed section for delving deeper into the program, including for e-mail and anti-spam protection as well as enabling parental controls, which are disabled by default.
Note that the first time you run a scan with Ad-Aware Total Security, and the program updates its signatures and similar information, it can take a very long time. It took more than an hour on my system. Subsequent runs took fifteen to thirty minutes.
If you're the kind of person who likes to tinker, you'll be pleased with the many customisations available to you. For example, you can have the virus-scanner pause during times of high system load. Also useful is a CPU load indicator, which displays how much of your system's CPU is being used over time, as well as how much of the CPU Ad-Aware Total Security takes up.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
- Old Windows PCs can stop WannaCry ransomware with new Microsoft patch
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSupport OfficerSA
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCSQL Analyst DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior .NET DevelopersSA
- FTSQL BI Report DeveloperQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment and Trading PlatformNSW
- FTNetwork AdministratorQLD
- FTSenior Business Development Manager| SMSF/Accounting SoftwareNSW
- FTDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPETL DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTBUSINESS TECHNOLOGY PARTNERVIC
- FTPHP DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTQlikview Developer | Contract 6-12mthVIC
- CCSenior Digital BANSW