Lenovo ThinkCentre A55 9640-A11
- Small form factor, quiet, easy maintenance design
Although the ThinkCentre A55 system didn't perform quite as well as the Core 2 Duo M55, it remains reasonably priced and is well suited for business environments.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
The small form factor business PC is Lenovo's domain, and the ThinkCentre A55 9640-A11 offers all the usual ThinkCentre features, but also comes with Windows Vista Basic (optional to upgrade). Like other Lenovo desktop systems, we were impressed by the thoughtful business orientated design, but weren't so happy with the less than stellar performance.
Unlike the ThinkCentre M55 9BM, which we looked at recently, the A55 9640-A11 uses an older Pentium D 935 3.2GHz CPU, rather than the faster and more efficient Core 2 Duo CPU. Also installed are 1GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM and an onboard Intel 946GZ graphics chip. For storage the ThinkCentre has an 80 SATA hard drive and a DVD re-writer.
With Windows Vista Basic Edition installed, we were able to run our new WorldBench 6 software. WorldBench 6 is a scripted application-based test, which measures the ability of any given system to run important and commonly used applications in the Windows Vista environment. In WorldBench 6 the A55 9640-A11 scored a total of 61. This score is not overly impressive when compared to Core 2 Duo-based systems. The total score was brought down by the lack of a graphics card in the DirectX tests, where this machine is not designed to excel. Unfortunately, individual test scores for multitasking and Firefox were also slower than other low frequency Core 2 Duo machines.
One area where the ThinkCentre managed to keep relatively on par with the more powerful machines we've tested was in the Microsoft Office tasks, which is probably the focus of this unit. Lower scores in the rendering, Photoshop and media encoding tests show that this system will struggle to perform CPU intensive tasks.
Despite its lower performance, the A55 is priced fairly and will appeal to a business IT department rather than the end-user, as Lenovo puts a lot of effort into making these systems easily serviceable. Apart from the compact design, which will suite cramped or limited working conditions, the small form factor case has been built for quick access. Two buttons on either side of the chassis release the main lid, which rolls back and out of the way on a set of hinges, revealing the motherboard and the full-size expansion slots (including one PCI slot and one PCIe 1x slot). Once this is removed, users can unlock the front part of the inner cage with two slider locking mechanisms. This whole section houses the hard drive, optical drive and the system fans and they all become easily accessible. Most importantly, all of this can be done in a matter of seconds without a single tool. On the front panel are two USB ports and audio ports (headphone and microphone), so quick access for USB keys and other devices is available, without having to mess around at the back of the unit.
The CPU and chipset are passively cooled with airflow being delivered from the two front mounted system fans. These twin fans are designed to work together to reduce overall spin-speed and subsequent noise. They draw air from the front of the case and blow it towards the rear where it can exit via a grill. Overall, we found the system to be fairly quiet during general operation.
On the rear port cluster are six more USB ports as well as two PS/2 ports for a keyboard and mouse, though Lenovo has supplied USB peripherals with this unit. Also available on the back panel are a parallel port and a serial port, and a gigabit Ethernet port. There's also another set of audio ports at the rear (speaker and line-in).
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Dell
- CES 2018: Intel Reveals VR-Ready ‘Hades Canyon’ NUC
- iMac Pro first look: Apple’s most powerful Mac is a multiprocessing beast
- macOS High Sierra ‘root’ security issue allows admin access to your Mac—but there's a fix
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTScrum MasterOther
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Logistics)Other
- FTICT Solution ArchitectACT
- CCNetwork Technical Specialist L3 x 2 ? Large Telco ? 6 month contract initiallyNSW
- FTSales Manager - Global ISP Cloud Solutions ProviderVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- FTVarious DevelopersACT
- FTMainframe DevelopersOther
- FTSenior Full Stack Developer | APIOther
- FTInfrastructure Security AnalystOther
- FTContinuous Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerQLD
- FTSenior PMO AnalystOther
- FTMidrange EAI Developer - IBM WebsphereOther
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTSecurity Specialist (SIEM)Other
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer C++ - Financial Services - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- FTSolution Designer - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTCyber Security Team LeadOther
- FTInfrastructure PMO AnalystOther
- TPICT Business AnalystNSW
- FTService Desk OfficerSA