Lexar Media Jumpdrive Lightning
Great software, blistering transfer speeds, and on-board encryption make the JumpDrive Lightning a winning USB memory key.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
USB memory keys are fantastic for moving files around between locations, but the relatively slow read and write speeds of flash media mean that it can take quite a while to fill a 2 or even 1GB memory key.
Straight from the box, Lexar's polished stainless steel JumpDrive Lightning oozes class. The device measures 7 x 2 x 1 centimetres; approximately the same size as a cigarette lighter. The Lightning offers superior speed over conventional memory keys, and Lexar attributes this performance to its use of high-quality NAND MLC memory. Lexar claims transfer speeds of up to 22MB/sec for reading and 15MB/sec for writing data and boasts that the key will hold data up to 10-times longer than competing products. These are bold claims, but the company is confident enough to offer a lifetime warranty on the keys.
The JumpDrive comes with a slick "Dashboard" software application to help configure functions like file synchronization and encryption. It works beautifully and is one of the biggest benefits of the key as it greatly simplifies and encourages the use of the drive's functions beyond simple file storage. The JumpDrive can be set to synchronise data when plugged into a machine, helping automate the process of dragging files back and forth between two locations for work or study and reducing the risk of taking the wrong file to work on.
It's also possible to encrypt files to protect them from prying eyes. The encryption is first class - 256-bit AES - and encrypted files can be stored alongside unencrypted ones on the key, so there's no need to create a separate partition.
While the file encryption and synchronization are handy, the noteworthy feature is the Lightning's speed. In testing, the key took 36 seconds to transfer 500MB of data from the hard disk to the JumpDrive via USB 2.0, at an average rate of 13.9 MB/sec. The return trip was even more impressive, with the 100MB data set taking around 25 seconds from memory key to hard disk (20 MB/sec).
If you're sick of waiting around files to transfer, the Lightning is available in 2GB and 4GB capacities, and offers plenty of extra features above and beyond raw speed.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSolaris / Oracle SPARC administratorVIC
- FTSales ManagerVIC
- CCArchitect ? Office 365 MigrationQLD
- TPSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTDigital Transformation Architect - TelcoVIC
- FTProject Manager/Business AnalystQLD
- CCData Center Operations EngineerWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AdviceOther
- FTService Desk CoordinatorOther
- CCServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- FTProject Manager - Data Centre refreshOther
- FTSenior Technology Specialist (Networks)Other
- TPAzure DevOps ConsultantNSW
- TPTest ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Process SpecialistNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCWholesale Trading Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Field Services Telecommunication RiggerACT
- FTData Centre Support Engineer -| 6mth ContractOther
- FTLead Network Architect - $800pdOther
- FTFacilities/Capacity EngineerOther
- CCInfrastructure Specialist - Pharmaceutical IndustryVIC
- FTServiceNow Solution SpecialistOther
- CCProject AnalystNSW