Lexar Media JumpDrive Lightning USB Key (4GB)
- 4GB of storage, PowerToGo application, Lifetime warranty
- Fingerprint magnet
The Lexar Lightning does pretty much everything you could want or expect from a USB flash drive -- combining lots of storage with a fast and reliable performance.
Price$ 76.75 (AUD)
Choosing which USB flash drive to buy isn't something most people give a huge amount of thought to. After all, they all do pretty much the same thing, right? Actually, there are quite a few variables worth considering before you adopt one of these little guys, including size, speed, storage space, style and strength. (The Five Ss, if you will.)
The Lexar Lightning does a fair job in all of these categories, offering a tough, attractively small product with 4GB of storage space (1 and 2GB models are also available). As its name suggests, it's no slouch in the agility stakes either; delivering reliably fast reading and writing speeds even with considerably large files.
Like the rest of Lexar's flash drive range, the Lightning uses PowerToGo Virtual Application software. This is a specially designed platform that allows you to install pretty much any Windows application and run it directly from the USB drive. Along with giving you access to the tools and programs you need, this also means you can surf the web and check emails without leaving any trace on the PC you're using -- cookies, internet history and temporary files are generated on the flash drive, leaving zero trace on the host computer. If you regularly access business documents while travelling -- or just like to bludge at work -- this feature is a big plus. 256-bit AES encryption software and a file shredding utility are also included on the drive for the extra security-conscious.
With its classy compact design and elegant glossy finish, the Lexar Lightning is a curiously ladylike product -- indeed, it would look right at home in somebody's makeup bag, which is either a good or bad thing depending on your tastes. A blue LED light in the centre of the drive keeps you abreast of the Lightning's reading/writing activity. It's probably also worth noting that the Lightning picks up more fingerprints than the average crime lab; if this sort of thing is important to you, we'd recommend carrying the included cleaning cloth around at all times.
While we can't attest to the unit's durability, the titanium casing certainly looks robust enough. The built-in key ring and lifetime warranty are also good indicators that it will be up for some rough treatment. Despite this, we found the lid's plastic interior to be a bit flimsy, which is something to be fairly mindful of.
According to Lexar, the 4GB Lightning is capable of storing up to 4,000 photos, 65 hours of music, and 540 minutes of video. From our tests, this seems like a fairly accurate assessment -- granted that you don't store any other applications and software on the drive.
All up, the Lexar Lightning is an excellent portable storage device that should satisfy the needs of almost any user. It combines speed, strength and storage space into an elegantly shaped package.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Advances SATA Line-up with 860 PRO and 860 EVO Solid State Drives
- Synology Introduces FlashStation FS1018 and DiskStation DS218
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTWindows 10 Deployment ManagerOther
- CCDevops EngineerQLD
- FTTechnical Quality LeadVIC
- FTPublic Cloud Infrastructure EngineerOther
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTBusiness ConsultantOther
- FTTechnical Consultant (Security)Other
- FTCloud Systems EngineerOther
- CCProcurement Specialist - PathologyNSW
- FTMotion Graphics Designer / VideographerNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack DeveloperACT
- FTICT Infrastructure Support (Level 2 / 3)Other
- CCLead Delivery Developer - Datapower and WPS DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Global MarketsOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst (EL1)QLD
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- FTSystems Support AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - Office 365QLD
- FTSolution Architect - MDMOther
- CCHadoop DeveloperACT
- CCAutomation Engineer/ Linux DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTProject Manager, Strategic Asset ManagementOther
- FTMQ Broker IIB AdministratorACT