Lexmark Platinum Pro905 inkjet multifunction
An inkjet multifunction with Internet-based widgets and a large paper tray
- Automatic duplexer, 300-sheet paper capacity, Internet-based widgets
- Expensive initial outlay, poor print quality, slow print speeds, some SmartSolutions widgets aren't Mac compatible
With two paper trays, double-sided printing and Lexmark's SmartSolutions platform, the Platinum Pro905 is a good choice for businesses that print a lot of documents, but it is expensive.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Lexmark’s Platinum Pro905 is the company's top-of-the-range inkjet multifunction printer. It offers wireless connectivity and Internet-based widgets to make it easier to print, scan and copy both at home and in the office.
The Lexmark Platinum Pro905 is almost identical to the cheaper Prestige Pro805, offering the same connectivity options, touch-sensitive control panel and automatic document feeder. However, Lexmark has added a 33.6Kbps fax modem and a second 150-sheet paper feeder to the bottom of the Platinum Pro905, for a total input capacity of 300 pages.
The inkjet multifunction connects over USB, Ethernet and 802.11n Wi-Fi, and can read SD, MemoryStick, xD and MMC formats through its card reader. As the PictBridge-compatible USB port on the front will recognise USB flash drives, and will even print many document and picture file formats provided the printer is connected to a computer via USB. Memory card and flash drive contents can be accessed from computers connected via USB or over a local network, with a Lexmark utility allowing the latter.
A standout feature of Lexmark’s refreshed multifunction range is the SmartSolutions touch screen: a 4.3in control panel whose quick access buttons (cancel, start and home) conveniently disappear when they aren’t an available option. The control panel isn’t adjustable, but sits at a comfortable angle for use on even higher desks.
Lexmark’s SmartSolutions features are essentially Internet-based widgets that allow you to view basic Web feeds like Google Calendar, RSS feeds and photo viewers, as well as to create one-touch copy and scan buttons with specific settings profiles. Widgets like "Scan to Email" and "Eco Copy" are definitely useful. A Web-based interface could be used for a similar purpose, but the easy set up and ability to sync the same widgets to multiple printers make SmartSolutions useful for printer administrators.
The SmartSolutions Web site lets you configure widgets for your Lexmark printer.
Though the site works on both Windows and Mac OS X computers, not all widgets are platform agnostic. For instance, Lexmark's much touted "Business Card Scan" widget — which scans, OCRs and automatically inserts contact information into selected address book applications — can only be installed using Windows, since it requires specific OCR and e-mail client software on the connected PC.
Though the SmartSolutions widgets mean you won't have to constantly fiddle with scan settings, you can access them on the printer when necessary. There is also an e-mail address book and history, so you can quickly send scanned images to co-workers without requiring an e-mail client on connected PCs. The scanned images themselves are detailed and of good quality, though the 600dpi maximum resolution won't suit specialist tasks like scanning negatives and slides.
|Print Speed Results|
|A4 photo |
|Lexmark Platinum Pro905||$599||Inkjet||15.7||8.2||17.4||3.9||19s||40s|
|Canon PIXMA MP640||$299||Inkjet||10.4||8.7||5.7||3.8||32||52s|
|Kodak ESP 7||$299||Inkjet||12.4||3.9||11.8||3.1||37.1||2|
|Epson Stylus Photo TX810FW||$399||Inkjet||24||8.6||24.8||8.8||29.6||1m 18s|
|Lexmark Prestige Pro805||$499||Inkjet||16.2||6.6||14.5||2.5||42||2|
|HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless||$499||Inkjet||22.7||14.6||22.9||8.9||31||1m 10s|
|Canon PIXMA MP990||$449||Inkjet||13.9||11.6||10.2||3.8||36s||1m8s|
While the Platinum Pro905 and Prestige Pro805 share the same print engine, the multifunctions’ inconsistent print speeds led to different results in our benchmarks. However, our results show that Lexmark’s high-end inkjet multifunction isn’t the fastest document printer available, particularly considering its price point.
Unfortunately, overall print quality isn’t spectacular either. While readable, text isn’t as sharp as we would have liked from a business-focussed printer, while characters were extremely feathered when superimposed on coloured backgrounds. Even when dry, documents retain an inky look and standard 80gsm paper will be warped if you print colour graphics documents.
Photos lack detail and can appear grainy, even at best quality. Black levels in monochrome photos are also too light, making the Platinum Pro905 a better choice for basic graphics and documents rather than more complex material.
According to the promotional sticker on the Prestige Pro905, the multifunction can print monochrome documents at a cost of 1c per page, but this is in US pricing. In reality, you'd be paying 1.6c Australian, which is still quite cheap for an inkjet. With high-yield colour cartridges, you're looking at a total running cost of 15.5c per A4 page, which is still quite a reasonable ask, though more expensive than comparable laser printers.
The Platinum Pro905’s print quality and speeds won’t satisfy all business users, but the SmartSolutions widgets and low cost per page for monochrome documents are certainly tempting.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
As more and more of everyday life becomes predicated on our connection to the digital world, the chances we will be targeted or vulnerable to cyber-attacks has also risen
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Gigabyte AERO 15: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- CCDevOps ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Cost ModellerOther
- FTStorage Operations ManagerOther
- CCIntegration SpecialistNSW
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- FTArchitect - ServiceNowOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTNetezza Developer - Brisbane locationVIC
- FTSenior Developer - Funds Management Product: C# .Net DeveloperOther
- FTContinuous Improvement - Lean ConsultantOther
- FTJava Developer (API)Other
- CCData Migration lead - Energy and GasVIC
- FTSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- CCOracle E-Business Suite DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager, Sydney CBD, Data Migration, Application IntegrationNSW
- FTSecurity SpecialistOther
- FTProgram Project Manager, Business Technology EnablementOther
- FTFull Stack Java Developer with front-end focusOther
- FT3rd Level Network and Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTSalesforce Consultant - SMEVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCProcurement SpecialistQLD
- FTMid - Senior Web DeveloperWA
- CCOffice Administrator - TelcoVIC