LG 50PS80ED plasma television
This LG plasma can record TV to an internal hard drive
- 250gb internal hard drive, striking frameless design, good overall picture quality
- Overly sharp picture by default
The LG PS80 plasma is a great all-in-one solution for watching broadcast television as well as high-definition content. It only suffers from a few small flaws.
Price$ 3,499.00 (AUD)
The LG 50PS80ED is a good 50in plasma television for anyone who watches a lot of broadcast television and wants a TV that looks great. It has a few features that set it apart from the crowd, including an internal hard drive.
The 50PS80ED sports LG’s ‘frameless’ design, with a sheet of glass covering both the screen and the bezel. It’s a great concept, but we think it could have been improved if the bezel was finished in the same colour as the screen itself. A soft blue edge light on the bezel glows when the television is on, while another flashes when changing the volume or channel using the remote. We really like the design apart from the grey screen and high reflectivity.
The LG 50PS80ED has all the ports you’d expect from a high-end plasma. Four HDMI ports, as well as dual inputs for S-Video, composite and component are situated on the side and rear, along with VGA and audio connectors. A USB port is used for multimedia playback and the television’s Time Machine Link system, which allows the transfer of recorded video files if the TV's internal drive is full.
The on-screen menu — which you’ll be seeing a lot of if you’re a fan of recording television — is clear and concise. We found the digital television menus easy to navigate, but accessing advanced features takes a little more work. The Picture Wizard for fine-tuning the television’s brightness, contrast, sharpness, saturation and tint is very useful for novices, and going through this short process dramatically improves the television’s vibrancy.
The internal tuner of the LG 50PS80ED is great. A dual HD tuner is integrated so you can watch one show while recording another. Setting recordings is easy through the on-screen menus; you can set up a recording quickly using the record button on the remote, which brings up a prompt, or through the electronic program guide. Our initial channel scan was speedy and accurate. We’d rate the tuner system in this television as only slightly below the brilliant one in Pioneer’s PDP-LX609A plasma.
Picture quality is the best we’ve seen from LG. One standout was the screen’s great brightness range. Even in a room with fluorescent lights we found the screen vibrant and easy to see at all times. The screen was overly sharp in its default settings, but running through the Picture Wizard improved this considerably. Contrast is an impressive 2,000,000:1. A lot of detail was visible in the darkest scenes of The Dark Knight on Blu-ray, which we watched through an LG BD390 Blu-ray disc player. Upscaling was also good: we watched a few DVD-quality videos and found the image to be smooth and colourful, if not as detailed as Pioneer’s implementation.
LG’s Time Machine plasma television stands out in a market of samey televisions. The internal hard drive cuts down on unnecessary clutter &8212; if you’re a fan of watching and re-watching television, the LG 50PS80ED all you need.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s Next TV is a Real Frame-Changer
- CES 2018: Hisense's 2018 TV Lineup Is 'A Whole Other Story' For Australians
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Sony's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Samsung's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Hisense's Press Conference
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperQLD
- FTGraduate Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCSoftware Configuration ManagerACT
- TPService Desk AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCAndroid developerNSW
- TPProject Manager. Software Service.NSW
- FTTechnical Lead | .Net | FintechOther
- CCProcurement SpecialistQLD
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- CCShort term - Junior PMACT
- FTSenior Dynamics AX DeveloperOther
- TPAutomation TesterACT
- FTWeb Developer - HTML / CSS / SASSOther
- FTSQL Developer / Data AnalystOther
- FTSenior PM - Data AnalyticsOther
- TPSystems AdministratorQLD
- CCLevel 1 / 2 Desktop Support - BrisbaneNSW
- FTData Analyst/ManagerQLD
- TPData Migration Specialist - Collections 360QLD
- FTSenior Project Coordinator, Project DeliveryOther
- FTReporting AnalystQLD
- FTPeopleSoft Business AnalystNSW