- Excellent treble, great clarity and definition in all audio, easy to setup
- Slightly weak sub, bass tends to be ever-so-slightly slow at times
This is a great choice for those looking to buy a complete surround sound system that's a step above most other prepackaged units. It does cost more, but the extra quality nevertheless makes it great value.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
LG's AR702TS home theatre system is a 6.1 speaker set combined with a receiver. An excellent option for users looking for a complete package, the high quality of the components and relatively inexpensive RRP make this product great value. Although it still has a few problems, overall it's definitely one of the better home theatre / receiver combos that we've seen.
The AR702TS boasts excellent audio quality, especially in the treble range. Bass and the mid range are both clear and well defined; although at times we did notice that the bass tended to be ever-so-slightly slow, hanging for a split second on quick beats. Treble, on the other hand, is almost flawless, displaying crystal clarity and sharpness through to the very highest notes thrown at it. The entire audio range is well balanced, without any particular frequencies overpowering others.
Volume is adjustable in increments of 0.5dB. Even at the highest volumes, the system avoids excessive distortion, maintaining a clear and full sound. Unfortunately, however, it seems that despite coming with an absolutely massive subwoofer, that these high volumes aren't replicable in the very lowest frequencies. Bass is still loud, but the sub isn't capable of producing the levels of wall-shaking rumble that we would have liked to see. Although the amount of bass is perfectly reasonable for the majority of listeners, those who like to see their furniture vibrate across the room every time there's an explosion may be slightly disappointed.
The design is quite standard, with tall standing front speakers, and horizontal front centre and rear centre speakers. The sub is actually incredibly large, so make sure you've got space for it if you're considering purchasing this system! The receiver is quite simple, with volume and input controls on the front, and a plentitude of composite and analogue audio inputs on the rear, as well as component, coaxial, optical audio, and three HDMI connections (two inputs and one output). A USB connection is also available on the front panel.
The setup was quite quick, considering the size of the system, and we didn't have to screw any stands or wall mounts together, which is always nice. All the necessary wiring is included, and calibrating the speakers is quite easy using the inbuilt speaker tone function.
Inbuilt DTS sound field options really help to highlight various types of music, and unlike with some products we've seen, changing the sound field does create a very noticeable change to the audio.
The AR702TS is a fantastic product, and although relative to other prepackaged systems it's quite expensive, its quality is also significantly greater. Bass fiends are probably the only listeners who wouldn't be satisfied by the system's audio performance, and its incredible treble makes it a fantastic option for lovers of high suspense drama movies or classical music.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTOffice & Operations AdministratorNSW
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Contracts Administrator- Construction BackgroundOther
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- FTSenior Development Expert – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- FTIntegration & BI Manager - C-levelNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - eCommerceOther
- FTSAP ABAP DEVELOPMENT LEAD- NSW GovernmentOther
- FTSolution Architect - DatacentreVIC
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- FTProgramme ManagerACT
- FTSenior Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTProject Manager Large ICT Enabled Business Change ProjectQLD
- FTMarketing Content Writer - Tenders & SocialNSW
- FTXamarin DeveloperOther
- FTIT Project SchedulerOther
- FTSenior Siebel Developer - Canberra/MelbourneACT
- FTFinance and PeopleSoft Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Siebel Integrator/Developer - Canberra/MelbourneOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst | 12 month fixed term contractQLD
- FTFinance and PeopleSoft Project ManagerOther