The LG BD370 is an excellent entry-level Blu-ray player for any home theatre system.
- Excellent DVD upscaling, very good Blu-ray picture quality, can connect to YouTube, can play and display media from USB 2.0 thumb drives, BD-Live capable
- No 7.1-channel analog outputs
The LG BD370 Blu-ray player is an excellent entry-level option. The very good DVD upscaling, Blu-ray movie picture quality, BD-Live connectivity and USB playback already make it worth the price tag, but the ability to connect to YouTube makes this one of the best budget Blu-ray players we've seen.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
The LG BD370 is a great entry-level Blu-ray player that has excellent picture quality and DVD upscaling, as well as BD-Live support, USB playback and the ability to display YouTube videos.
The LG BD370 Blu-ray player has a slim body and an interesting design with a large circular power button in the middle of the fascia. Two flaps on either side of the button open to reveal the drive tray on the left side and a USB 2.0 port on the right side.
We were impressed by the fast loading time for discs. Our Blu-ray copy of The Guardian only took 16.37sec to load, compared to the 47.46sec it took the Sharp AQUOS BDHP21X Blu-ray player.
If you've got DVDs at home that you want to watch on a Full HD TV, then you'll appreciate the excellent upscaling provided by the LG BD370 Blu-ray player. The images in The Matrix's lobby scene were well-defined and devoid of artefacts. Motion was displayed smoothly and without any stuttering. The upscaling was slightly better than the very good Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player.
The Blu-ray picture quality was also very good; with everything from skin tones to tree trunks and wheat fields coming through realistically. Fast-paced actions scenes from Pearl Harbour were well-handled with a superb level of clarity. The close-up shots of Kevin Costner's face in The Guardian revealed every wrinkle and crease with remarkable (and often unwanted) detail.
The USB 2.0 port is able to play music and movies as well as display images. Pictures can even be arranged as a slideshow with a music track used as an accompaniment.
The LG BD370 Blu-ray player can handle a variety of formats including MPEG2, MPEG4 AVC (H2.64), AVCHD and DivX. It can play MP3 and WMA audio files; the Blu-ray player is capable of decoding Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master audio.
One of the more interesting features is the LG BD370's ability to play YouTube videos when connected to the Internet via the Ethernet port. The customised search facility with an on-screen keyboard works well, and tabs provide easy access to highest rated and most recent videos.
Like most other entry-level Blu-ray players, the LG BD370 has BD-Live capabilities, although few BD titles offer extra online content at the moment. The YouTube functionality finally gives you a decent reason to connect your Blu-ray player to the Internet.
The LG BD370 Blu-ray player has an HDMI 1.3 port that can output 7.1-channel sound and 1080i/p visuals. Component and composite video out connections are provided, as is a digital optical audio port. There are no 5.1- or 7.1-channel analog audio connections, but this is to be expected at this price point.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCBMC Remedy Business AnalystVIC
- FTIT Support Specialist - Level 2Other
- FTChange AnalystOther
- CCMigration Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - SuperannuationOther
- FTDigital Project Manager / Product ManagerOther
- FTITIL Change Management SpecialistOther
- CCTechnical Specialist - VirtualisationVIC
- PTPart-time Cisco EngineerWA
- TPProject Officer (PMO)VIC
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTPL/ SQL developerOther
- FTApplication Service AdministratorNSW
- TP.Net DeveloperWA
- FTAutomation SpecialistOther
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- CCSolaris Migration SpecialistACT
- FTApplication Support EngineerACT
- FTFront End Developer (AEM / Java)Other
- CCTest LeadWA
- FTIntegration & BI Manager - C-levelNSW
- FTAgile Project ManagerOther
- FTWintel Infrastructure EngineerACT
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTOracle Identity Management Solution ArchitectOther