- Easy to use, great recording functionality, great space saver
- Lacks any distinguishing technological features, interface is slightly disjointed, time shifting must be manually activated
A great entry-level device, the RH2T250 lacks any distinguishable features beyond its ease-of-use.
Price$ 949.00 (AUD)
LG's latest RH2T250 is a standard definition set top box, hard drive recorder, and DVD recorder combined into the same box. It's a great way to upgrade to digital television, embrace HDD recording, and compress several home entertainment products into a single unit. Beyond that, it doesn't bring too many new or exciting features. It would have been nice to see, high definition reception, dual TV tuners, or even DVD upscaling. As it stands, it's an excellent option for those looking to upgrade their recording capabilities.
Recording is very well designed on the RH2T250, and it's actually very hard to fault. One-touch recording, well laid out recording timers, plus simple and efficient dubbing to DVD all make this product a very easy-to-use recorder. Customisable recording modes are available, as well as time shifting, although this needs to be manually activated.
Digital reception is quite good, and the TV tuner picked up all local stations in under ten minutes. As mentioned, the lack of dual tuners means that users won't be able to watch one channel whilst recording another, although they can still watch DVDs or previously recorded programmes while recording something else. Additionally high definition reception has been omitted, so users with high-definition TVs won't be able to get the most out of this product.
The RH2T250's design is slim, black and unobtrusive, and considering the number of features it includes, it does manages to fit it into a compact design. A full array of connection options is available on the rear of the unit, including component, composite, HDMI, optical, coaxial and S-Video. USB support is provided, although no networking functionality is integrated.
The DVD player is perfectly functional, although it would have been nice to see upscaling to higher resolutions, if only to give people a reason to upgrade their old DVD player. Nevertheless, playback is great, and recording is well integrated and simple, facilitated by multiple quality modes and easy TV to DVD and HDD to DVD recording.
One of the annoying things that we did notice during testing though was the interface. It tended to be quite disjointed, and poorly displayed on the screen, making navigation difficult. In the end it still functions well, however it was just a little more irritating to use than other interfaces that we've seen. Fortunately though, the remote is well laid out with big, backlit buttons, and it is quite intuitive to use, which makes operating the RH2T250 a breeze.
Overall, LG has created a nice product with the RH2T250. It's not fantastically innovative or packed with the latest and greatest technology, but it's got absolutely everything that it needs, and is quite simple to use. Perfect for anyone who wants to upgrade to digital television and hard drive recording, although it may leave more advanced users slightly disappointed.
Join the newsletter!
As more and more of everyday life becomes predicated on our connection to the digital world, the chances we will be targeted or vulnerable to cyber-attacks has also risen
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- Ultimate Ears unveil Alexa-powered BLAST and MEGABLAST smart speakers
- BeoPlay introduce P6 portable speaker
- Hisense Unveils 2018 ULED TV Range
- Amazon confirm Echo Spot for Australian market
- LG celebrate ThinQ brand with new 2018 TV range
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Gigabyte AERO 15: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTData AnalystACT
- FTSenior Rail Project Manager, Fleet TransformationOther
- TPChange Lead | UtilitiesQLD
- FTService Management LeadOther
- CCSenior Network Security EngineerVIC
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTBig Data ArchitectNSW
- CCFull Stack Mobile/Java DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- TPDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTSoftware Engineer (C ++, Java)Other
- CCPrincipal Project Manager - ieMR ImplementationNSW
- FTSenior SQL Server Infrastructure Engineer/DBAOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCStorage EngineerNSW
- FTDatabase Systems Specialist - AzureOther
- FTFull stack DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPProject Support Officer - Mulitple RolesQLD
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTProgram Project Manager, Business Technology EnablementOther
- FTTechnical Quality LeadVIC
- FTCustomer Data AnalystOther
- CCSenior Infrastructure Project ManagerNSW