- Easy to use, great recording functionality, great space saver
- Lacks any distinguishing technological features, interface is slightly disjointed, time shifting must be manually activated
A great entry-level device, the RH2T250 lacks any distinguishable features beyond its ease-of-use.
Price$ 949.00 (AUD)
LG's latest RH2T250 is a standard definition set top box, hard drive recorder, and DVD recorder combined into the same box. It's a great way to upgrade to digital television, embrace HDD recording, and compress several home entertainment products into a single unit. Beyond that, it doesn't bring too many new or exciting features. It would have been nice to see, high definition reception, dual TV tuners, or even DVD upscaling. As it stands, it's an excellent option for those looking to upgrade their recording capabilities.
Recording is very well designed on the RH2T250, and it's actually very hard to fault. One-touch recording, well laid out recording timers, plus simple and efficient dubbing to DVD all make this product a very easy-to-use recorder. Customisable recording modes are available, as well as time shifting, although this needs to be manually activated.
Digital reception is quite good, and the TV tuner picked up all local stations in under ten minutes. As mentioned, the lack of dual tuners means that users won't be able to watch one channel whilst recording another, although they can still watch DVDs or previously recorded programmes while recording something else. Additionally high definition reception has been omitted, so users with high-definition TVs won't be able to get the most out of this product.
The RH2T250's design is slim, black and unobtrusive, and considering the number of features it includes, it does manages to fit it into a compact design. A full array of connection options is available on the rear of the unit, including component, composite, HDMI, optical, coaxial and S-Video. USB support is provided, although no networking functionality is integrated.
The DVD player is perfectly functional, although it would have been nice to see upscaling to higher resolutions, if only to give people a reason to upgrade their old DVD player. Nevertheless, playback is great, and recording is well integrated and simple, facilitated by multiple quality modes and easy TV to DVD and HDD to DVD recording.
One of the annoying things that we did notice during testing though was the interface. It tended to be quite disjointed, and poorly displayed on the screen, making navigation difficult. In the end it still functions well, however it was just a little more irritating to use than other interfaces that we've seen. Fortunately though, the remote is well laid out with big, backlit buttons, and it is quite intuitive to use, which makes operating the RH2T250 a breeze.
Overall, LG has created a nice product with the RH2T250. It's not fantastically innovative or packed with the latest and greatest technology, but it's got absolutely everything that it needs, and is quite simple to use. Perfect for anyone who wants to upgrade to digital television and hard drive recording, although it may leave more advanced users slightly disappointed.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCBusiness Intelligence Analysts (SAS, SAP UI5, or SQL) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCDataPower AdministratorACT
- FTAsset Management SpecialistOther
- FTBusiness System Analyst | 6mth ContractOther
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTCanteen ManagerOther
- FTTechnical Support Engineer - OnsiteOther
- CCSenior Internet Services Engineer - DevOpsNSW
- CCOperations Manager - Data CentreWA
- CCTechnical Business Analyst-GenesysNSW
- CCTest Analyst - BrisbaneACT
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTInfrastructure Design Engineer, DC Power, CommunicationsOther
- FTLead Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTProject Administrator/Junior Project ManagerOther
- TPProject Manager - HR21 RolloutQLD
- CCExstream DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT
- FTSolution Architect/Designer - Telecom IndustryOther
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTMurex DeveloperVIC