LG Shine Slide (KE970)
Oozes style, but questionable controls
- Stylish design, excellent display, solid user interface
- Poorly designed keypad and controls, impossible to keep clean, proprietary headphone jack
The Shine Slide has plenty of style, but a poorly designed keypad and questionable controls don't do this handset justice.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
A GSM version of the popular and stylish Shine (KU970), the Shine Slide (KE970) is targeted at those on a budget who may not necessarily need 3G capabilities but like the mirror-style design.
Being a fashion handset, the key selling point is looks and the Shine Slide, like its predecessor, doesn't disappoint. It looks almost identical to the Shine (KU970). It's constructed entirely of shiny metal with a mirror finish on the screen and bezel. Although this design wins points for looks, it's difficult to keep clean. The screen itself is impressive — it's bright, clear and has a reasonable viewing angle. A downside is that due to the glossy surface the display is almost impossible to view in direct sunlight.
Unfortunately some of the design elements are also problematic. The main issue is the keypad. The keys are stiff and not very tactile, resulting in longer messaging times and some unnecessary strain placed on the fingers.
We also had an issue with the side-mounted controls, which are composed of camera, menu and two navigation keys. They are placed towards the bottom of the unit, making it necessary to alter your hand position in order to access them. The rest of the controls include a scroll wheel for general navigation, two selection buttons, answer and end call keys, and a cancel button. The scroll wheel works reasonably well, though we would have preferred the convenience of a standard five-way pad.
One area where the Shine Slide definitely improves over its predecessor is the user interface. Although it still isn't the fastest we've come across, it's generally speedy and keystroke lag isn't an issue. The interface itself is also easy to use, utilising a standard grid system with labelled and animated icons.
The Shine Slide is a standard, tri-band GSM phone so it won't serve users looking for mobile Internet connectivity. Call quality is acceptable, although volume could have been louder at the highest setting. All the expected connectivity options are supported, including USB 2.0 and Bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP support. The latter is a welcomed feature, as the KE970 uses a proprietary headphone jack rather than a standard 3.5mm jack.
All the usual PIM functions are available, including calendar, memo, stopwatch and alarm clock. There is also a voice recorder, and the 2-megapixel camera doubles as a video recorder. The camera itself takes decent quality photos; the included flash performs well in darkened areas. There are also plenty of settings, including multi-shot, white balance pre-sets, night mode and special effects, including sepia and negation.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
- Boost Mobile Doubles Data Offering With New Summer Plans
- BlackBerry KEYone Black Launches in Australia
- HTC U11 Plus latest rumours: Release date, price and specs
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTFinancial Analyst- Construction backgroundOther
- FTReporting Analyst - Planning & ForecastingOther
- FTJunior Project ManagerACT
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - Mobile AutomationOther
- TPSenior Developer/Technical AnalystNSW
- FTSystem AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Continuity Senior Associate/ IT AuditNSW
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectVIC
- FTInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Risk and Compliance StreamOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCSharePoint Developer / AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- TPSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCDeployment ManagerACT
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- TPAndroid Engineer - Contract (6 months)NSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- FTMid-Level Software EngineerOther
- TPSecurity AnalystACT