Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
This keyboard features back-lit keys and a well-crafted design.
- Ultra-thin design, excellent key layout, adjustable key backlighting, near-silent operation, comfortable
- Not wireless, a little expensive, lack of Fn key on the left side of the keyboard
If you can live with a wired keyboard, Logitech's Illuminated Keyboard is one of the best available. However, it’s a little overpriced.
Price$ 179.95 (AUD)
Logitech's Illuminated Keyboard features backlit keys, an ultra-thin design and the PerfectStroke key system. Although it's not wireless, it is one of the better keyboards on the market.
The Logitech Illuminated Keyboard's matte black finish gives it an aura of sophistication and class, and the clear plastic bezel surrounding the keyboard is a nice design touch. At just 9.3mm thick, the Illuminated Keyboard is extremely slim and low, but it can be propped up by supports that reside on the bottom. These flip-out plastic legs are small but sturdy.
The keyboard is definitely comfortable to use. At the front there is a serviceable rubber-style wrist rest; it’s a shame it can't be removed as many users are cramped for space and would appreciate a smaller footprint. The wrist rest also tends to attract grubby fingermarks due to its finish.
The keys provide excellent tactility and are well spaced. Aside from the insert, print screen and pause/break buttons being shifted to the top row instead of sitting in their usual place, the layout of keys is excellent. The backlit keys are impressive and are a godsend at night or in dim lighting. Rather than leak through the spaces in between keys, the backlighting is restricted to the character on a key. The backlighting can be adjusted by a key in the top right corner of the keyboard; there are four brightness levels available and you can also completely turn it off if you wish.
Strangely, the top row of F-keys isn't backlit, though the orange symbols that appear above them are. One other minor complaint is the lack of a function key (Fn) on the left side of the keyboard; you need this key to access the one-touch controls that allow you to adjust volume and offer instant access to programs such as your media player, e-mail client and Web browser.
The Illuminated Keyboard also boasts what Logitech has dubbed PerfectStroke, which allows for longer key travel. The pressure required to type is greatly reduced, speeding up the typing process. After continual daily use over a period of three weeks, the Illuminated Keyboard made our typing more efficient. Additionally, typing is near-silent, making this keyboard an ideal choice if you don't want to disturb your colleagues.
The Illuminated Keyboard connects via a USB cable and is plug-and-play. However, if you want to use the shortcut keys you'll need to install the included SetPoint software.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Some Radeon RX Vega graphics cards will be faster than the Frontier Edition
- Nvidia quietly launches the GeForce GT 1030, a Radeon RX 550 rival with a modest price
- AMD's first Radeon Vega graphics card isn't for you, and gamers may be waiting a while
- AMD's Ryzen Mobile chips are ready for liftoff, with the new Ryzen Pro not far behind
- It's official: AMD's Threadripper will bring a 16-core, 32-thread monster to the desktop
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerACT
- FTLevel 1 Support OfficerQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTBI Developers - 4 positionsQLD
- CCSenior Data EngineerNSW
- FTManager - Commercial ClientsACT
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- TPProgram Governance Lead (PMO)VIC
- TPPrimary Support Officer (Level 1)VIC
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- CCIDAM ArchitectVIC
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior IT System Engineer Availability SpecialistACT
- FTUX ResearcherVIC
- FTProcurement OfficerACT
- FTICT Transformation Integration ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity Engineer (Cisco ASA) - Professional Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Manager - Accountin Finance and AssetWA
- CCSenior Systems EngineerQLD
- FTDatabase Engineer (Oracle)ACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW