Logitech PowerShell game controller for iPhone (first look)
Logitech's newest iPhone accessory makes use of the 'game controller' features in iOS 7
Logitech's newest iPhone accessory makes use of the 'game controller' features in iOS 7 to deliver console-like control in compatible games on the iPhone 5 or 5s. It's also compatible with the latest (5th generation) iPod Touch via an included adapter.
The 20cm wide snap-on controller plugs into your iPhone via its Lightning connector. It adds an analogue D-pad on the left, and the traditional four A/B/X/Y buttons on the right (from PC gaming controllers of old). It has what appears to be a dedicated 'pause' button, inset below the right-hand button cluster. Shoulder triggers give a total of what we believe to be six buttons, excluding the probably-pause button.
To work with the PowerShell, a game must support the new external-controller features added in iOS 7, Apple's latest mobile operating system as shipping with the iPhone 5s and 5c. (The iPhone 5 is freely upgradable to iOS 7.)
In a blog post from Logitech yesterday, the company listed 42 games that are currently compatible with the PowerShell. Titles include Bastion, LEGO The Lord Of The Rings, Scribblenauts Remix and racing game Nitro.
Cut-outs in the controller allow access to phone's volume controls, mute switch and camera. An included adapter allows headphones to be plugged in without getting in the way of the user's grip on the controller.
The PowerShell has an integrated 1500mAh battery, to increase gaming time of the connected phone. This is approximately the same capacity as the batteries used in the iPhone 5 and 5s (1440mAh and ~1560mAh respectively).
Due to inefficiencies in charging one battery from another, this won't actually double the run-time of your device. Logitech simply says it "increases the available power capacity", and we'll need to run a few tests to get a good idea of the actual improvement. Whatever it is, it's certainly a good idea. Little drains smartphone batteries quicker than the latest, most graphically-intense gaming titles.
We're also interested to see how well (or not) the button placement works out. It's a logical decision to place the controls on either side of the screen, as Sony did with the PSP. However, many mobile consoles have taken the opposite approach and placed the buttons below, such as Nintendo's DS and its various reinventions. Which will work best when strapped to an iPhone is a tough question, which really demands some hands-on experience.
The PowerShell has an RRP of NZ$169.90/AU$129.95 and is expected to be available in New Zealand 'late December'. The device is listed as 'coming soon' on Logitech's Australian website.
We're waiting on a review sample to arrive in our Auckland labs - full review to come.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
- Boost Mobile Doubles Data Offering With New Summer Plans
- BlackBerry KEYone Black Launches in Australia
- HTC U11 Plus latest rumours: Release date, price and specs
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTApplication Support SpecialistVIC
- FTBDM/Account Manager - TechnologyACT
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- FTRobotic Process Automation DeveloperOther
- FTSr. IT Business Analyst -Investment banking Funding StructureOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCCyber AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- FTSystems Support ManagerNSW
- FTChange Analyst, IT & Business ProjectsOther
- TPSupport Java RoleNSW
- FTSAP CRM/UI5/Online Systems AnalystOther
- CCF5 Operational Support EngineerWA
- FTAPI Integration Technical Lead -$1150 per dayOther
- FTChange Manager, SAPConnect TransformationOther
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)WA
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- FTPL/SQL DeveloperOther
- TPTest ManagerQLD
- CCWholesale Trading Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Technical Engineer - MacVIC
- TPBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW