Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision
- Excellent image quality, top quality microphone, easy to use
- Some flow down on fast objects, flimsy control buttons
The Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision is an excellent webcam that produces high quality images with only a few minor problems.
Price$ 249.95 (AUD)
The Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision is the highest quality and most expensive webcam in the Logitech product line up. Thankfully, the image quality makes it easily one of the best webcams we've seen and the audio and visual tweaks offered in the bundled software make video chat or vlogging a pleasurable, user-friendly experience.
Logitech attributes the image quality to the fixed focus lens (which they claim contains five precision engineered components) and the 1.3 megapixel sensor. The camera can support video resolutions up to 640x480 pixels at 30 frames per second and still images of up to 4 megapixels. The result is reasonably smooth video while recording or engaging in a video conference. There is some lag and jerkiness in the image at times but compared to other webcams we've reviewed, the Ultra Vision suffered from this the least.
We tested the camera with Windows Live Messenger and it worked beautifully with smooth video, so long as the subject didn't make any fast movements such as waving hands. We also tested the camera on Skype and Yahoo Messenger with the same results. We also used the new Quick Capture feature on YouTube.com to post a vlog on-the-fly. The result was reasonable, but the frame rate dropped to a point where the video was too slow and digital artefacts began to appear, so it could definitely be improved.
The bundled software comes with software called QuickCam. This is the gateway to using the specialised plug-ins and the image and audio correction technologies that make this model stand apart from the rest. To provide the best image possible, Logitech have created a technology they call "Rightlight 2" which corrects lighting problems. The built-in microphone also uses a similarly named technology called "RightSound" which cuts out echo and background noise to produce the cleanest sound possible.
Like other Logitech products, the QuickCam software also comes with some fun features such as face tracking, animated 3D avatars and video effects. For the most part these are novelties but the 3D avatar feature is definitely worth checking out. In addition to the included 3D characters there are others available for download as well. When setting up the program to use the avatar function, the camera is given points of reference on your face that it translates into movements on the 3D character model. When you smile, the on-screen character smiles as well. The range of emotions is limited but it is certainly an odd and fascinating experience nonetheless.
The cylindrical design is rather attractive with chrome silver on one side and a white finish on the other. Each side of the unit has a single button which is used for quick image Snapshot on the left and to open the QuickCam software on the right. We found these buttons to be a little flimsy and they also tended to get jammed every now and then. This camera is designed to sit on the top of your monitor and comes with a fairly heavy base to allow the camera to be mounted on top. This works very well and remarkably enough is actually rather sturdy. The provided cable from the camera to the PC is six feet long which makes it useful for those using their TVs in a media centre lounge room. Finally, the device is compatible with Windows 98. 2000, XP and even Windows Vista, making it a sound investment for those concerned about future proofing.
There are a few minor problems with this camera but they shouldn't stop you picking up this excellent webcam, should you have the budget.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTRetail Stock/Warehouse ManagerOther
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- FTTest ManagerACT
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerQLD
- FTClinical IT Support Consultant - Medication Management - Permanent - North RydeNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperACT
- CCProject Manager x 2 (Infrastructure)NSW
- CCTechnical Support OfficerNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- TPProject Manager - CRMQLD
- FTRigger TechniciansOther
- FTLead Change ManagerOther
- FTSolution Architect - Feasibility/ImpactSA
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTLevel 2 Mobile ICT AdministratorACT
- CCDataPower AdministratorACT
- TPDesktop Support & PC DeploymentVIC
- FTMicrofocus Cobol DeveloperOther
- FTForm Analyst/DeveloperOther
- FTCyber Security- ManagerSA
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- CCSenior Data Centre Capacity / Facilities Engineer - Large Telco - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTDeployment TechnicianVIC
- FTTechnical Services AdministratorVIC