- Excellent sound, convenience of wireless, easy to set up
- Too expensive, not as loud as wired versions
These wireless surround speakers sound great, but the convenience will cost you
Price$ 799.95 (AUD)
Logitech's latest high-end speakers should appeal to anyone who has ever tripped over cables or laboured to hide the wires connecting a surround-sound setup.
The company's Z-5450 Digital Speakers system features wireless rear satellites. That convenience comes at a high price, however. And although the shipping set we tested sounded great, the speakers couldn't quite match the output of less-expensive, more-powerful wired surround setups, including Logitech's own Z-5500 package.
Both music and DVD movies sounded clear and crisp through the system's five satellite speakers and generous 200-watt subwoofer, though deeper-bass soundtracks - such as the one for The Fifth Element, with its rumbling starships--lacked a bit of detail. According to Logitech, the rear satellites are capable of switching among 38 channels in the 2.4-GHz band to avoid interference with cordless phones and other wireless devices. Throughout our tests, we didn't detected any distortion or dropped connections from the rear-channel speakers.
Setup was easy (each of the rear speakers requires a power outlet), and the system produced remarkably transparent sound with minimal tweaking of speaker placement.
The Z-5450 speakers are a sensible choice if your room would benefit greatly from going wireless. But in our experience, wired systems from Logitech and Klipsch offer better sound and slightly more solid construction for less. If wireless isn't a priority for you, one of those options may be the way to go.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- What the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition's specs and pricing mean for PC gamers
- AMD Threadripper exclusive: Only Alienware's Area-51 will have it in 2017
- Intel's revealed the Core i9 ship dates, but you won't like them
- Hands-on: Creative Labs' Sound BlasterX AE-5 ups the audio for gamers
- Logitech's Powerplay mousepad wirelessly charges your mouse while you use it
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPProcurement Specialist - ITQLD
- TPProject Coordinator / Junior Project ManagerQLD
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCSenior Microsoft SQL DesignerNSW
- FTSCCM Engineer / SpecialistOther
- FTPHP DeveloperOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystOther
- TPDevOps EngineerQLD
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperOther
- CCMultiple Front End Developers - BRISBANE | React.js | Angular.js | Node.js |VIC
- CCBlack Belt - Improvement ManagerVIC
- FTResource /Operations AnalystOther
- CCSenior Automation Test Analyst - BrisbaneVIC
- CCTest Manager - Business IntelligenceNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- CCApplications Software EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Content ProducerOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager - TechnologyACT
- FTLinux Support EngineerOther