Logitech Z520 PC speakers
These high-quality stereo PC speakers have good mid-range and treble response but lack a subwoofer
- Clear treble, accurate mid-range, decent power levels
- No option to add a subwoofer, expensive
If you’re looking for a simple and compact pair of stereo speakers that still sound detailed, the Z520 set from Logitech is a good choice. It doesn’t have everything we’d want in a set of near-field speakers but the overall package is tempting.
Price$ 249.95 (AUD)
Logitech's Z520 stereo PC speakers are relatively expensive. The sound they produce is worth the outlay, though; good treble and mid-range response make for accurate and lively musical reproduction. The lack of a subwoofer means the system is suited to PC users looking for a compact, refined system rather than a bass-heavy one.
The Logitech Z520 speakers are reasonably well built, with a conservative design that still possesses a few stylish cues. Detatching the grills will show off the silver accents and piano-black fascia, but we prefer the grills on for a minimalist look. The right speaker has a combination power button and volume control with a dim orange light burning when the speakers are turned on.
A wall-wart power brick connects to the right speaker with a few metres of cord, while the speakers themselves can be separated by around two metres. The 3.5mm audio jack is a similar length, so if your PC is a short distance away from your monitor you won’t be inconvenienced. We would have liked the addition of an inbuilt DAC (sound card) and the ability to connect via USB, like the older and cheaper Logitech Z5 speakers. The right speaker has line-in and line-out ports on its side for auxiliary and headphone connections.
The sound quality from the Logitech Z520 PC speakers is good for their price point. A single 1in tweeter and a 3in woofer on the front of each speaker are joined by another tweeter on the rear, which provides some omnidirectional acoustics. We tested the Z520 with a whole range of audio you’d expect to hear on a desktop PC — streaming Internet radio, YouTube, MP3s, CDs, movies and PC games. We found the system best suited to CDs and other music, with balanced and accurate treble and mid-range at medium to high volumes. There’s no lower bass extension because the system does not include a subwoofer. This makes the speakers sometimes sound flat when watching movies and playing action PC games. The Z523 includes a subwoofer and costs less, but the Z520’s saving graces are its clarity and good treble balance, thanks to discrete tweeters.
Logitech’s Z520 speaker system is a good compact speaker system for those who want clear, high-quality PC audio for a reasonable price but don’t have the space to store a bulky subwoofer.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPImplementation Planner | P90 |$1300/dayQLD
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMONSW
- TPServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- TPETL DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyVIC
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- FTData ScientistACT
- FTTechnical Lead Front-endNSW
- CCTechnical WriterVIC
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Dept of CommunitiesQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- PTRecords and Information Management OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerACT
- FTProject Coordinator - Digital Applications (IT)NSW
- TPDigital Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- FTTeam Leader Solution DeliveryQLD
- TPSharepoint DeveloperQLD