Luxology Modo 301
- Mesh and image-based sculpting workflow, layer support, animation., variety of learning aids, new snapping and precision tools, good image support
- Power hungry for more complex modelling tasks, animation fairly limited
Modo 301 appears a prime choice for digital sculpting on the Mac, plus add in the animation and paint features and you have a full-featured application ready to take on the big studio tools, at about half the price.
Price$ 1,790.00 (AUD)
Modo has a versatile layout that lends itself well to either linear modelling workflows or working piecemeal on projects in conjunction with other applications. The various Tabs are dedicated to tasks like rendering, painting or UV editing and the layout has been configured to allow you display two tasks together -- for example showing the UV window while you edit a mesh alongside -- making for a far more interactive experience.
Unusually for a pro 3D application, Modo is also packed with learning aids such as inline help, videos, HTML tooltip links and documentation.
Modo is already well established as a pro-modelling application, benefiting from its Solid Sketch tool, symmetry features and fast subdivision workflow.
301's new sculpting features offer a combination of mesh-based and image-based modelling, which can be used in tandem or separately. With the mesh-based approach, sculpting tools like Push or Smooth work on the cage, or vertex points of polygon models for organic moulding of surfaces. Keyboard shortcuts abound, for example Tab flips the workspace to a smoothed view, while D and Shift-D subdivide the mesh in alternate ways.
To add fine detail, image-based textures can be applied, created with Modo's Paint tools or by importing common file formats like PSD and TIFF (including 16-bit and floating point colour). It's simple to add or reduce resolution for more or less detailing and multiple image maps can be layered for the same object, or activated at any point, giving a great deal of control. It's straightforward therefore to apply multiple images to one model and blend them, leaving the finest detail for the highest resolution map or to edit layers individually at any time.
Version 301 also offers new animation capabilities, which you can quickly use to keyframe camera moves. You'll probably need to go elsewhere for more complex tasks, but Modo does also offer morph animation as well as the import of MDD files to render animations created in other 3D applications. New snapping functionality and precision tools include snapping to guides and grids, with a 2D snap option to avoid 3D offsets in perspective views. Specific constraints include the ability to shrinkwrap an object or to constrain the pen tool to a certain height.
Licences for both Mac and Windows are provided with the software, available in boxed or download form for the same price, and for once licensing a 3D package is a breeze.
Mudbox is cheaper and has similar mesh tools and facilities, but as well as being confined to Windows, offers no animation. ZBrush too is lagging behind with Mac support for its latest release, so Modo 301 appears a prime choice for digital sculpting on the Mac. Add in the animation and paint features and you have a full-featured application ready to take on the big studio tools, at about half the price.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- MWC 2018: Alcatel
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- FTCloud Architect / Senior Engineer - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- FTData EngineerOther
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCApplications Project ManagerACT
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTSAP Ariba Project ManagerOther
- FTFull Stack Developer - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTSoftware Engineer (C ++, Java)Other
- CCFull Stack Mobile/Java DeveloperVIC
- FTMid-level UX DesignerOther
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCNetwork Design EngineerQLD
- CCProgram Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTProject Manager - APS 6ACT
- FTSenior Solution Architect - TransformationOther
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTBusiness Systems AnalystOther
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- TPImplementation ManagerVIC
- FTClient Relationship Manager - HealthcareVIC
- FTProject Officer / Project Scheduler - Gold Coast BasedOther
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- FTMobile App DeveloperNSW