modo now has a preset library, packed with models, textures, environments and materials.
- Great new features for rendering and animation
- Fairly pricey, power-hungry, some crashes on PPC version
The latest enhancements turn modo into an even better all-round tool, though it does come at a fairly hefty price.
Price$ 1,290.00 (AUD)
Already a well specified modelling tool, modo gets stronger in animation and particularly rendering with the 401 release. There’s now a preset library, packed with models, textures, environments and materials.
Rendering gets a boost from support for direct caustics, using photon mapping to enable more realism in glass and jewellery. There are options such as dispersion to add a tint to refracted light rays, and blurry refraction for use in effects such as frosted glass.
There’s now also support for fur rendering, which initially draws on the underlying layer for colour and other appearance attributes. By adding textures to a UV Map on the mesh, you can make the fur material inherit the changes and procedural textures; gradients and image maps can all be applied to modulate fur colour.
Thanks to modo’s hierarchical shader setup, you could create a layer group for the fur, isolating the shading changes taking place so that you don’t mess with the textures of the surface underneath. There are plenty of fur and hair grooming tools, too.
Rendering is further boosted by Light Linking, which allows you to tie a light to specific meshes, so that only those parts of the scene are illuminated. Then there’s the Replicator feature: this is similar in concept to instances, but more efficient. Replicators generate render-time duplicates of meshes, placing them onto multiple vertices or polygons in a scene.
Highly efficient for tasks involving multiple variable copies, such as leaves on trees, Replicators can be also be applied onto materials and manipulated using texture layers. They can be viewed in modo’s Preview Renderer, which has also been improved.
Stereoscopic rendering is big business in film post-production: it’s good to see support for this in a mid-priced package. You set the interocular distance (the spacing between the eyes) for a pair of stereo scenes, as well as the convergence distance from the camera. Anything behind the convergence distance point will appear to be receding into the screen, while anything in front will seem to come out of the screen.
You can export the scene to Photoshop (interoperability to create an anaglyph image (the green- and red-based 3D we grew up with), but for animation you can create one motion sequence in modo based on the red luminous colour channel blended with one based on a channel representing all other colours. There’s also support for Collada and FBX.
Some other additions are pretty fundamental. For example, you can now adjust the centre and pivot points around which an object rotates, moves or scales. This improves modo’s animation capabilities, and is strengthened by support for simple 2D two-joint Planar IK.
Running on both PPC (albeit slowly) and Intel Mac and 32-bit/64-bit Windows, these latest enhancements turn modo into an even better all-round tool, though it does come at a fairly hefty price.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTNetwork ArchitectNSW
- CCIT Specialist - System ServicesNSW
- FTPageUp BAOther
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTTest AnalystOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE Developer (Brisbane)WA
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk Support - Multiple positionsVIC
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- FTService Desk CoordinatorOther
- TPLead Solutions Architect - SAP SuccessFactorsQLD
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunitiesQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Business Case - Risk & Compliance - ContractNSW
- CCProject Implementation Support - Telecom IndustryVIC
- FTIT Service DeskSA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Risk and Compliance StreamOther
- FTJunior Python Developer - TradingOther
- CCScrum Master - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTRobotic Process Automation DeveloperOther
- FTCustomer & Sales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsOther
- TPBusiness Analysis, Design and Configuration ManagerQLD
- TPBusiness Intelligence Analyst|Software DeveloperQLD
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther