Maxtor DiamondMax 10 - 300GB
Maxtor DiamondMax 10
- Fluid dynamic bearings, Quiet, High transfer rates
- None to speak of.
While not only being a quality product, the diamondmax range has the lowest dollar-per-gigabyte cost in their class.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Maxtor's DiamondMax 10 hard drives greatly impressed us with their superb performances and low noise emissions.
They are definitely a far cry from the DiamondMax 9 range of drives, which we have found to be slow and noisy. Capacities for the Diamondmax 10 drives start at 80GB, and all the drives in the range feature a spin speed of 7200rpm. Drives up to 200GB have an 8MB cache buffer. Larger drives have a 16MB cache buffer.
The Maxtor DiamondMax 10 has fluid dynamic bearings, which improves the longevity of the drives and reduces their noise. All DiamondMax 10 drives also support native command queuing (NCQ).
NCQ rearranges data requests from applications to increase access efficiency. Its function is to organise seek operations so that they occur in a more logical order, minimising the time it takes for the drive heads to go from one request to another.
In this review, we looked at the 160GB, 200GB and 300GB DiamondMax 10 drives.
When it comes to moving massive amounts of data, the DiamondMax 10 range is nearly unbeatable. The 300GB drive, in particular, with its 16MB cache buffer produced an incredible file transfer rate of 1.059GB per minute! We were also pleased to note that its temperature during testing did not exceed 44 degrees.
The smaller capacity drives also fared very well, with the 200GB managing 932MB per minute, with a maximum running temperature of 41 degrees. The 160GB drive achieved 935MB per minute with a maximum running temperature of 40.8 degrees.
Noise was not an issue for any of the three drives; we could barely hear them at all during our tests.
What's interesting about these DiamondMax 10 drives is that, apart from having advanced features such as NCQ and in some cases up to 16MB cache buffers, they also had, at the time of testing, the lowest dollar-per-gigabyte cost in their class.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Project ManagerQLD
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- TPIntegration Developer. Cloud SolutionsNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- FTTechnical Business AnalystOther
- CCSenior Application SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)WA
- FTChange Analyst, Transformation, SAPOther
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- TPieMR Business Analyst - Sunshine Coast Hospital - $850/dayQLD
- FTManagement Consultant, Strategy, New Products, TransformationsOther
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)NSW
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- FTBroker Support/ Applications SupportOther
- FTCampaigns & Events ManagerOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCLinux System AdministrationVIC
- FTMultiple Infrastructure Engineer rolesACT