Maxtor One Touch III
- Large capacity, Dual interface
- Software too technical for some
A competitive back up solution from Maxtor, that has something for everyone.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
The OneTouch III family of hard drives continues the Maxtor reputation for producing large capacity external drives, suitable for home users, advanced users and small businesses.
While its predecessor, the OneTouch II was finished in silver, it's clear Maxtor have taken some trouble with the design of the newer model. Our review unit, the dual interface Firewire 400/USB2.0 model, was finished in a rather odd looking pale green, with rubberized outer edges. On the front is a large button, backlit in a rather bright white light. (We found this light flashed when the drive was in use, and as it was so big, it soon became very distracting.) At the back of the unit is the USB 2.0 port, two Firewire ports and the power sockets. Styling is really a matter of personal preference, and while the OneTouch III isn't as innovative as the OneTouch II, which required a stand, and couldn't stand upright without it. The OneTouch III can sit either vertically or horizontally, as you choose, without the need for any accompaniment. In fact if you need to, you could no doubt stack multiple drives on top of each other. Bucking the trend against miniaturization, this unit is larger and slightly heavier than its predecessor. While the OneTouch III is technically classified as 'portable' storage, we think it's more suited to being placed on a desk, rather than carted around with a notebook.
The Maxtor OneTouch III is plug and play and requires no software to simply be used as an external drive. Within minutes after taking it out of the box, we had the drive hooked up and were transferring files. For specific backup and settings operations, the unit ships with Dantz Retrospect Express 1.1 and Maxtor One Touch Manager. It took less than five minutes to install both of these programs. (For more details on the Retrospect software, we recommend you check out our OneTouch II review.)
The OneTouch Manager software is a little different to the software that shipped with the OneTouch II, although many of the options are the same. You can for example, set Power saving settings, configure the OneTouch button or change the performance level of the drive. From the Manager screen, you can also schedule backups, restore data and perform rollback operations. One other interesting feature that caught our eye was 'Synchronise'. This allows you to specify certain folders that whatever changes you make will be automatically mirrored on the drive - very useful for backing up My Documents for example. If you're worried about security, the OneTouch III allows you to set a password which locks the drive.
Specifications wise, the OneTouch III is very similar to the OneTouch II. While our review model came with a 500GB hard drive, the speed (7200RPM), seek time and sustained transfer rate were about the same as the II.
The Maxtor OneTouch III is available in sizes of 200GB, 300GB and 500GB with a USB2.0 connection, a dual interface USB2.0 and Firewire 400 model or a triple interface USB2.0, Firewire 400 and Firewire 800 model.
Join the newsletter!
We have 4 to give away so jump in!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Advances SATA Line-up with 860 PRO and 860 EVO Solid State Drives
- Synology Introduces FlashStation FS1018 and DiskStation DS218
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- MWC 2018: Alcatel
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTCustomer Support (PAS) Professional- Level 2 - HealthcareVIC
- FTHadoop DeveloperSA
- FTSecurity & IAM Technical SpecialistACT
- FTSAP Ariba Project ManagerOther
- FTBusiness Systems AnalystOther
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Insight AnalystOther
- CCWeb Designer /DeveloperQLD
- CCLevel 1 / 2 Desktop Support - BrisbaneNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCAutomation Test Engineer - BRISBANE BASEDNSW
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTCyber Security AnalystOther
- CCStorage SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperACT
- TPProject Manager - Senior Application Specialist - HealthcareQLD
- TP.Net Developer - Senior Full StackQLD
- FTTechnical Solutions Consultants- ServiceNowNSW
- FTHadoop DeveloperACT
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- CCDigital ArchitectQLD
- CCProgram DirectorNSW
- CCTeam Assistant / EA - Telco ? 12 month contract - Nth Sydney - URGENT STARTNSW
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD