McAfee Application Control 5.0
McAfee Application Control 5.0 is the result of McAfee's acquisition of Solidcore
- No significant cons
- Minimal client interface
Just as whitelisting may be finding a receptive audience, a number of whitelisting solutions are proving to be mature, capable, and manageable enough to provide significant protection while still giving trustworthy users room to breathe. McAfee's whitelisting protection for Windows, Linux, and Solaris is a good example of this: short on nothing but shortcomings.
Note: Pricing for this product is subject to resellers' discretion, so prices will vary within Australia
McAfee's whitelisting protection for Windows, Linux, and Solaris is a software tool that allows network admins to restrict users' ability to mess up their own PCs - McAfee Application Control 5.0.
Last year, the number of unique malicious programs and variants that were created outstripped all the legitimate software published in the world, straining the accuracy of antivirus solutions like never before. It's a disturbing fact that suggests whitelisting is now more suitable as a primary security defence than traditional antivirus scanners, which are really nothing more than blacklisting programs. Enter, products such as McAfee Application Control.
McAfee Application Control 5.0 (due out December 15) is the result of McAfee's acquisition of Solidcore and the integration of Solidcore S3 Control with McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO). McAfee Application Control enjoys broad client support. It also boasts write protection and ownership protection of whitelisted files, good reporting and alerting, and no significant cons.
McAfee Application Control 5.0 can enforce whitelisting policies on Windows NT 4 through Windows Server 2008 (Windows 7 support is forthcoming), Suse Linux 9 and 10, Oracle Enterprise Linux, Red Hat Linux 3 through 5 (and CentOS), and Solaris 8 through 10. Its precursor, Solidcore S3 Control, is in use on thousands of client nodes and is deployed on more than 250,000 ATMs.
McAfee Application Control 5.0's management console is a dashboard component of McAfee ePO 4.5. Administrators connect via a secure browser session, where they can manage Application Control and any other McAfee security solutions they have deployed.
Protected PCs are considered "Solidified", a term that harkens back to the product's Solidcore days. The client interface is minimal, consisting of command-line instructions and parameters. Clicking an icon on the client desktop, called the McAfee Solidifier Command Line, gives access to all the Solidifier console commands, which allows a user to control everything an administrator could from within the ePO management console. Of course, ePO configurations can prevent local commands from working.
What McAfee Application Control 5.0 may lack in client interface it makes up for in overall functionality. It can allow or deny program executions by file name, SHA-1 hash, path rules, and digital certificates. McAfee's solution allows or denies individual scripts or files of any type, although configuring these policies takes extra steps.
An administrator must first create a rule about the script interpreter or originating process, but then can allow or prevent individual scripts and files. For example, to prevent individual Perl scripts, the administrator would have to create a rule regarding Perl.exe, but then can allow or deny individual Perl scripts.
Similarly, 16-bit applications can be controlled by first creating a rule about Ntdvm.exe, and then marking the individual 16-bit applications.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
- Nest jumps into home security with Nest Secure
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - ReactJSOther
- TPScrum MasterNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTMitel Unified Communication engineer.ACT
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystNSW
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)WA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTAutomation TesterOther
- CCDeployment ManagerNSW
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileQLD
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM CONSULTANT ? NV1 CLEARANCE REQUIREDACT
- FTSQL DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- CCSharePoint Developer / AdministratorNSW
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Project ManagerQLD
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCOracle CRM OD (On Demand) Consultant - Telecom IndustryVIC