McAfee Internet Security 2010
McAfee Internet Security 2010: Nice interface but slow scans
- Good malware detection, well-designed interface
- Worse-than-average impact on PC performance, slow malware scans
McAfee Internet Security 2010 performed well at detecting and blocking malware. However, McAfee needs to improve its scan speed and performance, and to bolster its behavioural malware detection.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
McAfee Internet Security 2010 does a good job at detecting malware, its interface is fresh and distinct from the pack, and it has a solid set of features.
However, our tests show that McAfee Internet Security 2010 slowed system performance more than many competing security products did.
McAfee has completely redesigned the interface for McAfee Internet Security 2010, and we like its fresh approach. It's intuitive and easy to work with, and its look is quite unlike any other security suite. Sections are called drawers; click the section, and the drawer opens to reveal the settings and status of each component. The top portion remains fixed, offering a static overview of the entire product.
McAfee Internet Security 2010 proved effective at cleaning up active infections; it detected all test infections, disabled 87 percent, and completely removed 47 percent. That removal rate is about average for the 2010 products we test; the suites we tested were generally effective at disabling infections, but often left malware components behind.
McAfee did well in results for behavioural detection of malware (which detects malware based only on how it acts - an effective way of detecting new or unknown threats) scoring 87 percent for detection, 73 percent for blocking attacks, and 60 percent for removing all traces of infections. This is a good test to tell how well suites can stop brand-new malware threats. Our top performers detected and blocked over 90 percent of samples, so McAfee Internet Security 2010's scores were good, but not outstanding.
In addition, McAfee Internet Security 2010 tied Kaspersky as the leader of the pack in rootkit detection, earning a perfect score for both detection and removal of rootkits (stealth malware used to hide other infections). As for old-style signature-based detection of malware, the McAfee package performed the best of all the suites we reviewed, with a 99.9 percent detection rate. Most other products put up detection scores in the range of 95 to 98 percent. However, signature-based detection isn't as important as it once was. Newer methods of blocking brand-new malware threats, particularly behavioural detection, are becoming more critical.
This suite made for somewhat longer boot times on our test machine. Boot times averaged around 50.6 seconds, nearly 4 seconds longer than the average startup time of the suites we tested. According to our lab speed testing, McAfee Internet Security 2010 was slower in tests overall compared with the other suites we tested. And it had the slowest on-access scan speed: it took 9 minutes, 21 seconds to scan 4.5GB of data; the best performer in this test took only 2 minutes, 51 seconds. (The on-access scan test judges how quickly a product can scan files for malware when they are opened or saved.) In our hands-on use, though, we noticed only slight slowdowns.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- McAfee Launches Industry’s Most Comprehensive Cloud Security Solution for Microsoft Azure
- D-Link ANZ Partners Exclusively with AVSystem for Zero-Touch Device Management in Australia and New Zealand
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
- CES 2018: Google Assistant To Come To Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTHelp desk Support AnalystOther
- FTSalesforce/CRM Product Owner (CSPO)Other
- FTFront End Developer (Mid Level)Other
- FTHelp desk Support AnalystOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTERP Systems & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTMultiple Solution Architect PositionsACT
- CCIteration Manager/Scrum MasterWA
- FTERP Technical Analyst - PeoplesoftOther
- FTHFC Network EngineerOther
- FTDRM DeveloperOther
- FTSenior API/Integration DeveloperOther
- FTProject Manager/LeaderSA
- FTSenior .NET Developer / Consultant - Brisbane based (Work from home/client site)QLD
- FTNetezza Developer - Brisbane locationVIC
- CCDevops EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Rail Project Manager, Fleet TransformationOther
- TPProject Manager - ServiceNowNSW
- TPSnr SQL DBAQLD
- FTSenior Developer - Funds Management Product: C# .Net DeveloperOther
- CCPega DeveloperVIC
- FTProgram Manager, Fleet TransformationOther
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD