McAfee Internet Security 2011
McAfee Internet Security 2011: Low impact on PC performance
- Low impact on PC performance
- Mediocre detection results
McAfee Internet Security 2011 put up fairly mediocre scores in malware detection tests, though it can be had at a reasonable price.
Price$ 74.96 (AUD)
Bargain hunters: Be patient and you'll often find McAfee on sale at a deep discount: The company's Internet Security 2011 (regularly $74.96 for one year, three PCs as of 12/2/2010) is often available for as little as $50, making it by far the cheapest way to secure the PCs you have at home.
With that said, it put up mediocre scores in overall blocking, detection, and cleanup of malware.
In our tests, McAfee turned in solid numbers in detecting known malware (98.7 percent), but the picture grows dim after that. It stopped just 17 out of 25 real-world attacks, earning it a distant last place in our roundup (the 12th place application in this test stopped 21 attacks). These results mean that it may struggle at blocking new, unknown malware. McAfee also had the worst false positive results in our tests, flagging 10 times as many safe files as malware as some of its competitors. McAfee's 60 percent success rate at scrubbing active malware components from already infected systems placed it behind the pack in that test, too.
McAfee also won little praise in our investigation of scanning speed. In on-demand scans and on-access scans the application scored 9th and 8th place, respectively. But things brightened up quite a bit when we benchmarked our system with McAfee running in the background: All told, McAfee had a minimal impact on PC performance.
Into this confusing and murky picture comes the McAfee interface, which is a little unorthodox but still relatively easy to use. For example, the tool offers no readily apparent way to scan your system manually, but clicking either the "Real-Time Scanning" text or "Virus and Spyware Protection" reveals an option to do so. Cryptically, you'll only find scan options under the former text, although both will also let you create scheduled scans.
Actual settings in McAfee Internet Security are quite slim, and even the devoted tinkerer will find only a few options to configure them, most of which are fine as defaults.
In addition to the usual firewall and spam protectors, McAfee Internet Security includes a number of extras, including parental controls, an online backup tool, hard drive defragmenter, and a secure-delete data scrubber. That said, we aren't totally sold on the QuickClean PC optimization tool that's installed by default, what with its claims to "erase unnecessary files, such as old ActiveX programs." Are most users worried about their hard drives being clogged by mountains of ActiveX programs? Is anyone?
McAfee's solid performance at detecting common, known malware is enough to merit some consideration, but its dismal real-world malware blocking and over-the-top problem with false positives are enough to give us serious pause, no matter how great the deal is.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- McAfee Launches Industry’s Most Comprehensive Cloud Security Solution for Microsoft Azure
- D-Link ANZ Partners Exclusively with AVSystem for Zero-Touch Device Management in Australia and New Zealand
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
- CES 2018: Google Assistant To Come To Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCMultiple Java Developer roles!NSW
- CCIntegration Developer - Port MacquarieQLD
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectWA
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst- Continuous Improvemen/Productivity SpecialistOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- CCImplementation EngineerWA
- TPAgile Scrum MasterQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- CCStorage EngineerNSW
- FTSAP Ariba Project ManagerOther
- FTUnified Endpoint Management Systems AnalystOther
- FTAutomation Test AnalystOther
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other
- FTIT Project CoordinatorOther
- FTC++/Python DeveloperVIC
- TPPrincipal SAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- CCAndroid developerNSW
- CCProject ManagerWA
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTIntegration Analyst - Axway/APIVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD