Merjin HijackThis V1.99
- Can remove anything, Free
- Complicated, Poor aesthetics
As the most powerful anti-spyware program available online HijackThis is also the most complicated. It is extremely useful for removing problems other programs just can’t crack.
Whilst you may have used Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Personal Edition or Safer Networking's Spybot Search and Destroy to cleanse your system of online nasties, one program you have probably not heard of is HijackThis; and we assure you have been missing out. A tiny, fairly basic piece of software, HijackThis was created by a Norwegian College student in his spare time, and has since gone on to become one of the most powerful anti-spyware tools available.
The downside is that HijackThis is unsuitable for the novice user. The power of this program lies in its ability to reveal everything on your system. Rather than running a pretty interface with a list of definitions it checks against, HijackThis simply scans your system and gives you a readout of everything that is, has been or will be running on your system during that session. This includes things like extra buttons that have been added to your browser windows, files that execute on startup, outgoing connections (things like automatic updaters), changes that have been made to your Internet settings (startup page etc) and processes that are currently running. It is an exhaustive list.
HijackThis then gives you the option to remove any of these processes, but as every system is different, it gives you no advice as to what should go. This is where beginners can get in to trouble. Removing registry entries and files that merely look suspect is a sure fire way to wind up reaching for your Windows XP CD; believe us, we've tried. Unless you are an experienced user, your best bet is to ask for help on one of the many online forums dedicated to the program. It generates a log file from your scan, which can easily be posted and read by people who understand the results. Whilst we cannot guarantee the quality of their information our experience has been that they respond quickly and professionally and we have never heard of a case of erroneous advice causing problems. Choose your site carefully and you will be spyware free in no time.
Aesthetically the software is nothing special. A basic grey and white design, it is made to function rather than to look pretty. However everything is simple and intuitive, so whilst new users may struggle with the program's output, they will have no trouble at all getting to that stage.
HijackThis also has a few other functions besides simply scanning. It can backup files that you remove, which helps somewhat when you delete something critical, but restoring a file after deletion won't always fix your problem, so use this feature with care. It also offers several Windows functions, such as 'uninstall manager' and 'process manager', which perform very similarly to their Microsoft counterparts, but in a more streamlined manner. Rounding out the package is a very nifty 'delete files on reboot' function, which helps cleanse those spyware files already running during that session.
Overall HijackThis is great if you've got a few problems you just cannot get rid of. For the average user Ad-Aware Personal Edition will be more than enough but we've encountered more than one scenario in our time online that has required something heftier and if you can get around the inaccessibility, HijackThis is the solution.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- CCWintel Team LeadWA
- FTInfrastructure Designer - Citrix/AWSOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- TPFrontend Developer - AngularNSW
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- CCChange specialist OR Junior Change managerNSW
- FTTest ManagerACT
- FTSenior SAS DeveloperOther
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- FTSecurity Business Analyst - $850 per dayOther
- FTIT Project Coordinator | Gold CoastQLD
- CCNetwork Data AdministratorWA
- CCExstream DeveloperNSW
- FTClinical Support Specialist - PermanentQLD
- TPIT Technical WriterNSW
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- FTEngineer Control Systems SpecialistSA
- FTCyber Security Program ManagerNSW
- TPSolution Architect | eDRMS | 2 PositionsQLD
- CCHelpdesk Support AnalystNSW
- FTDigital ProducerQLD
- FTOperational Support Engineer - Linux & CiscoOther
- FTBusiness Transformation - Business AnalystOther