Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000
Measuring just 41x109x50mm, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 is one of the smallest webcams we've reviewed.
- Captures video up to 1280x720 pixels and 30 frames per second (fps) or still images at a resolution of 4Mp
- Bright lighting will result in 'light-flare'
Ideal for families, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 ensures PC users can capture good quality HD video, while also having some fun with the images and video they shoot.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 is sleek black with a chrome accent and an unusual rubber clip. This could be moulded to fit the back of a laptop screen or monitor and also allowed the lens to be tilted up or down.
Setup was a breeze. Install the software bundled with the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 on to your PC and then connect the webcam to your machine via USB and you’re ready to use the device.
It’s capable of capturing video up to 1280x720 pixels and 30 frames per second (fps) or still images at a resolution of 4Mp. We found that while the video was smooth and clear with no pixellation, our biggest gripe was the flare of our harsh office strip lighting. And while TrueColour technology darkened the image, ensuring skin tones were more realistic, it didn’t dim the flare on the lights. The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000's noise-cancelling microphone meant we could hear sound of the video very clearly. Hardly any background noise was picked up.
We also loved the animations that we could lay on top of the video or images. From giving ourselves wigs, hats and glasses to blurring the background of the video, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 certainly allowed us to have some fun while using a webcam.
The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 can be used with Microsoft’s own software, but it is also compatible with instant-messaging programs including Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger, as well as VoIP services.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Netgear Launches the Arlo Go LTE Wire-Free Camera on Telstra’s Mobile Network
- D-Link Wins Prestigious iF Design Award 2018
- Reolink Launches a New 4G LTE Security Camera, Available in Australia
- Netgear announce local availability for smarter, sharper, Alexa-friendly Arlo Pro 2
- Netgear to spin off Arlo
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCProject Manager - Finance TransformationNSW
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer (Permanent Opportunity)QLD
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTAdministration AssistantOther
- FTSecurity, Risk and Compliance LeaderQLD
- FT3rd Level Network and Systems AdministratorNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Software DeveloperSA
- TPProject Manager - SEQQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCTelco Network EngineerVIC
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- CCTest Analyst - SitecoreNSW
- CCDynamics CRM Functional Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSAS Senior DeveloperOther
- CCCommunications AnalystVIC
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- FTIT Project CoordinatorOther
- FTSenior AWS Cloud SpecialistsOther
- FTSystem AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior Transition Project ManagerOther