Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000
- Attractive and comfortable design, Excellent audio quality, Noise-cancelling microphone, Easy set-up
- Windows Live Messenger integration seems unnecessary
The Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 is comfortable and easy to use while also delivering excellent audio quality. However, the Messenger features seem somewhat unnecessary.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
The Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 is a stereo USB headset and microphone combination. In a market saturated with poor quality headsets, Microsoft has come to the party with the promise of both high quality and Windows Live Messenger integration. While the quality is delivered in spades, the integration is somewhat haphazard was often more of a nuisance than a convenience during tests.
The LifeChat excels in many areas, most of which are centred on design and audio quality. The headset has leatherette pads around the ear which are comfortable and block a reasonable amount of exterior noise. They are not noise-cancelling, as such, but compared to on-ear headsets, audio is much easier to hear using these headphones. The audio clarity is quite outstanding for this type of product. Using Windows Live Messenger, we connected to various users around the world - namely in America and Poland. We also spoke with fellow Australians as well. During these tests the audio was clear and the quality was particularly impressive by comparison to other headsets we've run through these tests.. We also used the headset with the popular PC game communication program, TeamSpeak and found the audio to be clear and easy to understand.
The foam covered noise-cancelling microphone extends from the left hand side and is attached to a fully adjustable arm. Voice captured by the microphone is also clear and easy to understand. We tested the microphone with third party assessments over various Messenger voice chats and also by recording voice using Sony SoundForge.
Setting up the headset is very easy. By simply plugging the headset into an available USB port Windows was able to detect it and found basic drivers that allowed the unit to work. However, to use the Windows Live Messenger integration features, we had to install the correct drivers and Messenger plug-in from the provided installation disc.
Once you have the Messenger features installed, you can press the dedicated button on the in-line remote control to start a web chat. However, doing this only opens a window which asks you to choose a contact to start a chat with. From what we can gather, there is no added benefit of this feature at all. It is just as easy to simply choose you contact using the mouse from within Messenger and pressing the voice chat button. After several days of using the headset we gave up on the Messenger shortcut altogether. However, the remote also has volume and mute controls, which are very handy for volume adjustments on-the-fly. The LifeChat LX-3000 also has a six foot cable for greater flexibility and mobility.
On the whole, the headset is comfortable, easy to use and has excellent audio quality -especially considering the price point. While we found the Messenger integration to be somewhat unnecessary, others may well find it useful.
Join the newsletter!
Featuring a high capacity ink tank system, that completely removes the need for cartridges - it comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Google finally bring the Pixel Buds to Australia
- Bose announce local availability and pricing for SoundSport Free true wireless earbuds
- Jabra confirm ANZ pricing and availability for Evolve 75e headphones
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Network Security EngineerVIC
- FTJunior BA x 2Other
- CCSite Support Officer - FIFO - Cape PrestonWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Supply Chain / LogisiticsVIC
- CCAutomation Test Engineer - BRISBANE BASEDNSW
- TPProject Manager - SEQQLD
- FTFrontend Developer - Angular4/FirebaseNSW
- FTHelpDesk Support TechnicianOther
- FTDigital Business AnalystOther
- CCKnowledge Analyst (Digital Content)NSW
- FTDesktop Engineer Level 1 - 2Other
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTSalesforce/CRM Product Owner (CSPO)Other
- FTAdministration AssistantOther
- FTDRM DeveloperOther
- FTRecruitment CoordinatorOther
- FTOBIEE DeveloperACT
- FTJava AWS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Integration DeveloperVIC
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other
- FTStorage & Backup EngineerOther
- FTWeb Developer - HTML / CSS / SASSOther
- FTBusiness Analyst (Infrastructure/ Office Relocation)Other