Microsoft Works 8
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Why sink hundreds of dollars into an office software suite with scores of features you'll never use?
Microsoft's, $99.95 Works 8 gives you all the word processing, spreadsheet, database, and scheduling features you're likely to need, without the triple-digit price of its bigger sibling, Microsoft Office. You can even open and save files in Word's DOC, or Excel's XLS formats, along with other popular Office file types, as well as the standard Works file formats. A PowerPoint Viewer is included also.
We tested a shipping version of the package, and found the updated word processor more than adequate for most writing tasks. It also includes a new dictionary that can look up definitions while you write, as well as a thesaurus - both with parental controls.
Other noteworthy features: shareable calendars that you can post to the free iCalShare Web site, and automatic file backups that save your open documents every 10 minutes.
Microsoft has also released its $199.95 Microsoft Works Suite 2005 featuring Word 2002, Encarta 2005 Standard, Money Standard, Works 8 and Photo Premium 10.
In a world of never-ending up-sell, it's nice to know that you can still get top-tier productivity software without spending a lot of money.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- MSI GE62 7RD Apache gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTIT Systems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyQLD
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- TPReporting DeveloperWA
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCBlue Prism DeveloperVIC
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT HealthcareQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTSenior DBANSW
- FTWeb Developer - Full Stack - VR 3D WebGLNSW
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior IT System Engineer Availability SpecialistACT
- FTSAP HANA ConsultantNSW