App review: Xbox SmartGlass for iOS
Use your iPhone to play with your Xbox's Dashboard
- Control the Xbox dashboard
- Makes inputting information less frustrating
- Easier to use than a controller
- Can't use it to play games
- Can't use it type in games
Xbox SmartGlass offers Xbox users a lot of convenience. While it cannot interact with games whatsoever, it makes using the Xbox dashboard and playing media a lot easier, especially if typing is required.
Microsoft’s Xbox SmartGlass app turns a smartphone into an Xbox 360 controller, giving you the ability to play with your console’s dashboard and input information by swiping and typing rather than tolerating the traditional thumbstick and button method. It is important to note, though, that it is not a controller replacement as it cannot interact with games, even when just inputting information.
The first time Xbox SmartGlass is opened, it will ask you to sign in so it can connect to your Xbox 360. This means that your console must be on and logged into your account. Once a connection is established, the Xbox 360 will confirm it with a pop-up on your television screen. The Xbox 360 and smartphone do not have to be on the same network, although both must be connected to the Internet in some way, be it Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or 3G/LTE.
When the login is complete, the Xbox SmartGlass home screen appears on the smartphone screen, which looks like a less comprehensive version of the Xbox dashboard. From there, you can search the Xbox catalogue, track and compare achievements, look over your saved games library, and edit your profile and avatar.
To take control of the Xbox itself, you tap through to the dashboard option on SmartGlass. A mobile ‘control pad’ will appear at this point. The skin is black, and navigation is done by swiping any part of the screen to whichever direction. A ‘B’ button is located in the top right corner, ‘X’ in the bottom left, and ‘Y’ in the bottom right. Tapping the screen once triggers as the ‘A’ button.
Using this pad, you can use the smartphone to navigate the Xbox 360 and all its features, use the keyboard to type to the console, browse the Internet, and play/control media, such as DVDs, videos, and music.
As mentioned previously, Xbox SmartGlass does not give you the ability to play games with the smartphone as a controller replacement. Once a game is launched, the smartphone cannot interact with the Xbox — you can't even type in a game. For example, when creating a character in FIFA 13, you still have to use the Xbox controller. Who knows what the future may hold, but at this stage, Xbox SmartGlass is designed to provide convenience when interacting with the Xbox dashboard.
Developer: Microsoft Corporation
Requirements: iOS 5
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Clips Introduces Selfie Scenes for Immersive 360-Degree Selfies on iPhone X
- Netgear delivers industry first networking devices with remote management from anywhere in the world
- Samsung and Latitude Financial Services Partner to Bring Samsung Pay to More Australians
- NAB go in on Google Assistant integration with new app
- Trend Micro launches new Home Network Scanner
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSAP Test AnalystACT
- CCIT Specialist - System ServicesNSW
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- FTCloud Architect - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- TPAzure DevOps ConsultantNSW
- CCPega ArchitectVIC
- FTBlockchain DeveloperOther
- FTIntegration DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCData Center Operations EngineerWA
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork ArchitectVIC
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- CCTest Analyst - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- CCWintel Messaging Engineer l Office 365 / Exchange / Skype for Business / AzureNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - Change Management - Government backgroundOther
- FTTechnical Services AdministratorVIC
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- FTSystems Engineer - Identity & AutomationQLD
- CCSupply Master Data Analyst - Procurement & Supply Chain - TelcoVIC