Mindscape SpongeBob Squarepants Typing
- It’s SpongeBob! What else needs to be said?
- Encompasses less material than other typing tutors
A fun little program at a great price
Price$ 19.95 (AUD)
Learning to touch type isn't necessarily top of every ten year old's list of fun things to do. In fact, we'd be surprised if it was even in any ten year old's list of things to do. Learning how to type correctly may not be as useful as learning a foreign language or perfecting your mathematics skills, but it's a practical ability to possess nonetheless.
The SpongeBob Squarepants Typing Tutor is the most fun we can ever imagine having whilst learning to type. Now, we appreciate that really isn't saying very much, as the alternatives are such zany characters as Mavis Beacon, but SpongeBob kept us occupied for hours; even though this may say more about us than the product.
The fun starts from the moment you install the program, which incidentally is incredibly easy. Up pops SpongeBob and friends to run through a wacky introduction. This little cartoon basically sets the premise for the whole program, that the inhabitants of Bikini Bottom are having a typing tournament and you need to help SpongeBob win.
The next step is to log in, as multiple people can each use the program. From here you can select your age group. Kids from 7-12 have a slightly different system with an adjusted learning curve, with everyone over the age of 12 using the same settings. Then it's off to start the tournament. This basically takes the form of a series of lessons interspersed with a few games to keep things interesting. The lessons cover all the basics of typing including proper posture, hand positioning and finger placement. As you progress through the various levels of the program the difficulty is increased, with more letters from the keyboard introduced and longer passages to type. If you perform atrociously on a particular lesson then you'll have to repeat it before you can move on. The emphasis is on learning to type accurately first then increasing speed later.
We found the lessons to be very engaging, with good use of bold graphics and bright colours. One of the best features is SpongeBob's constant commentary. Although what he says doesn't always make sense, such as offering commiseration when we'd scored 98% accuracy, it certainly livens up the program.
There is also a practice mode with a large number of texts offered, as well as the option to replay any of the games. These two options should extend the life of the product considerably. Our one complaint would be that it offers considerably fewer lessons than a fully featured program such as Mavis Beacon; but really, no child is going to want to sit through this many lessons anyway.
Overall we found SpongeBob Squarepants Typing to be an entertaining product that retains its functionality, all for an entirely reasonable price. In fact we'd much rather learn to type from this kind of program and it's a shame there's not a whole suite of SpongeBob products; word processing and spreadsheets could be so much more fun!
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect ? NetworkingQLD
- CCInteraction DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Account ManagerACT
- CCLead Delivery Developer - Datapower and WPS DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTSenior Technical Project Manager - starting in 3-4 monthsACT
- FTContract Obligations Manager - Telco - 2 year Max Term - Nth SydneyNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTMultiple Solution Architect PositionsACT
- CCProject Manager - Power BI, Mobility & IntegrationQLD
- CCSenior Software Engineer, Full Stack, Sydney CBD, Java, .NET, Angular, Web APINSW
- FTUX Design Manager (Urgent!!)Other
- FTSecurity EngineerNSW
- FTServer EngineerSA
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- FTProject Co-ordinatorNSW
- FTMarketing Analyst - $60 phOther
- FTDesktop Support AnalystOther
- TPSAP Solution ArchitectACT
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- CCEnterprise Architecture - Strategy ConsultantVIC
- FTITIL Problem Manager - Team LeadACT
- FTProject Manager/Business Analyst (Hybrid role) - Adelaide BasedSA
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW