Monster Cable Beats by Dr Dre Tour in-ear headphones
The Beats by Dr Dre Tour headphones offer decent sound quality, but there are better in-ear headphones available for similar prices
- Stylish design, relatively comfortable, flat cable doesn't get tangled as easily as standard headphone cables, good bass, crisp and detailed sound
- "Tangle-free" cable isn't completely tangle-free, microphonics evident when cable is touched, average noise isolation, overpowering mid-range, no microphone for mobile phone use
Monster Cable's Beats by Dr Dre Tour in-ear headphones have a stylish design and reasonable sound quality. Their noise isolation isn't the best and the advertised tangle-free cable isn’t completely tangle-free. If image is important to you then these headphones are a decent option, but there are better-sounding alternatives for the same price.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Claiming to deliver "incredibly accurate" music reproduction, Monster Cable's Beats by Dr Dre Tour are in-ear headphones with a striking design. The Beats by Dr Dre Tour headphones offer decent sound quality, but there are better in-ear phones available for similar prices.
A key feature of the Beats by Dr Dre Tour is the "tangle-free cable". This cable has a flat design that seems very flexible. Unfortunately, although the cable doesn't get tangled as easily or as often as the cords on most headphones, it isn't completely immune to tangles. The cable also annoyingly creates microphonics (vibrations that you can hear in the earphones) when touched.
The Beats by Dr Dre Tour in-ear headphones look pretty stylish. We liked the red cord and the glossy black and chrome ear tips. Monster includes five pairs of different sized silicone tips in the sales package. It was relatively easy to find a pair that was comfortable, even for long listening sessions. The headphones seem well constructed, though we weren’t able to test the longevity of the headphone jack connection; a part that often fails on in-ear headphones due to general wear and tear.
The Beats by Dr Dre Tour headphones don’t do a great job of noise isolation. If you're listening to music on a crowded train or in a chatty office, you will generally need to turn up the volume to block out most background noise.
The headphones produce capable but not outstanding sound quality. Bass is the strongest and most accurate audio element, thumping without overpowering other frequency ranges. Like the cheaper Lady Gaga headphones from Monster Cable, mid-range is a little overpowering, resulting in a warm sound. The Beats by Dr Dre Tour headphones have supposedly been designed for R 'n' B, hip-hop and similar music genres . The high-end is particularly crisp and detailed.
The Beats by Dr Dre Tour in-ear headphones don't come with an in-line microphone or controls, so you can't use them to handle phone calls in conjunction with your iPhone, for example.
Monster includes a small zip-up case in the sales package, which is handy for storage when travelling.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- TPProject Officer (PMO)VIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTService Desk EngineerNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTIT Procurement Advisor | Financial ServicesQLD
- CCSenior Master Data AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Designer, Financial MarketsNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - RELOCATE TO CANBERRANSW
- CCJunior Network Designer - Telco - GISVIC
- FTApplication Security ArchitectOther
- FTEPAS Technical Support OfficerOther
- FTPHP DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Contracts Administrator- Construction BackgroundOther
- CCSAP Trainer l Start before the 1st JulyNSW
- CCDigital Content SpecialistNSW
- FTICT Procurement and Contracting SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Data AnalystOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - RetailOther
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior .NET DevelopersOther
- CCMultiple Front End Developers - BRISBANE | React.js | Angular.js | Node.js |WA
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTProject Manager - Service Migration & DataNSW