Mophie Juice Pack Air iPhone case
A rechargeable battery case for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS
- Battery and protective case in one, provides an extra 4.5 hours talk time, LED status indicator, can charge and sync through iTunes
- Chunky and adds considerable bulk to the iPhone, doesn't protect the top of the iPhone's chrome edging, top half feels a little flimsy and hard to remove, expensive
The Mophie Juice Pack Air is a great option for squeezing some extra battery life out of the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS, but it adds considerable bulk to the handset.
Price$ 129.95 (AUD)
The main drawcard of the Mophie Juice Pack Air is the fact that it offers the convenience of extended battery life for your mobile phone and the protection of a hard case in one device. A built-in power switch allows you to turn the battery on and off, so you can use the Juice Pack Air as a regular case and simply flick the switch when your iPhone requires a recharge.
Mophie claims the Juice Pack Air is the world's thinnest device of its type. Although that’s a feat in itself, the Juice Pack Air is still rather chunky and adds considerable bulk to your iPhone. We love the convenience that this accessory offers, but many users will be turned away due to the bulk and weight that the Juice Pack Air adds to the normally sleek and stylish iPhone. We like the rounded edges, though, and the glossy smooth finish feels very nice. It attracts plenty of fingerprints, just like the iPhone itself.
The Mophie Juice Pack air protects most of the iPhone's body, particularly the bottom of the phone. However, it leaves the top of the chrome edging exposed, so if the phone falls flat on its front the edge may be scratched or chipped. The top of the Juice Pack Air also feels a little flimsy when it's removed. It fits the phone quite tightly.
The battery in the Mophie Juice Pack Air is rated at 1200mAh, and according to Mophie provides an extra 4.5 hours of talk time and up to 270 hours standby time for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. Using an iPhone 3GS, we switched on the Mophie Juice Pack air battery when our iPhone battery reached 10 per cent, and it charged our 32GB iPhone 3GS to 70 per cent capacity before it was fully drained. Alternatively, you can leave the Juice Pack Air switched on even when your iPhone is fully charged; its battery will completely drain before the iPhone's battery is hit.
LED status indicator lights on the back of the Mophie Juice Pack Air allow you to quickly check how much battery is left by pressing a small button. The LEDs also indicate the charging status when the Juice Pack Air is switched on, and the recharging progress when the case is plugged in.
The Mophie Juice Pack Air uses a standard micro-USB connection for recharging. Conveniently, you can charge and synchronise your iPhone with iTunes without removing it from the case. Mophie includes a standard micro-USB cable in the sales package and the case is available in black, white and purple.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google wants to solve the Android update problem once and for all with Project Treble
- Intel concerned about name of John McAfee’s privacy phone
- Low-cost Android phones to get iPhone features with new Qualcomm chips
- Qualcomm's Quick Charge 4 is coming in phones midyear
- Apple's next iPhones may cut corners on memory due to price squeeze
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- TPDatawarehouse Test AnalystSA
- CCPega DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- TPInstructional DesignerVIC
- CCSAP HCM Support & Configuration ConsultantQLD
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTField Technician - Radio communication serviceACT
- FTSenior PHP Developer - SymfonyQLD
- TPSenior Web DeveloperQLD
- FTDatabase Developer - SQLACT
- FTL2/L3 Desktop Technician - FIFOWA
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTSystem Engineer - VMWare, UCS, NetAppVIC
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTCustomer Support Team LeadNSW
- CCSQL Server Database Specialist l Bathurst LocationNSW
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW