- Nice design, Slide out microphone, Good audio quality, Easy to use
- Uncomfortable ear clips, Some small problems in loud areas
Overall, the Motorola H800 is a strong product. While the ear clips won't be comfortable for everyone, it does offer great sound quality and mixes it with an attractive design and intuitive interface.
Price$ 179.95 (AUD)
Sporting a slim, chic design and a funky pop-out microphone, Motorola's latest flagship hands-free headset, the H800, is a solid product. It offers good quality audio, a small design and easy operation. The only downside is a slightly uncomfortable ear clip.
As with most Bluetooth hands-free kits, audio quality is paramount and in this area the H800 held up well. It offers sharp, clear sound on both incoming and outgoing channels and after a little volume adjustment we could hear things clearly.
Rather than utilising a traditional in-ear piece, the H800 instead rests just outside the ear and projects sound using a speaker, which is relatively effective, however we did notice this made it a little more susceptible to external noise. Most hands-free kits suffer a little in noisy environments, so this was no surprise. However, it's an issue worth noting if you're often in areas of loud ambient sound, as the design of the H800 may suffer a little more than other units.
Volume can be adjusted using the two buttons on the top and bottom of the unit and these can be re-orientated if you change to the opposite ear. They can also be used to reject a call, by tapping when you hear the ring tone. All the other functions, such as accepting and ending calls, are handled by the single large selection button that adorns the face of the unit. The system is efficient and intuitive and should prove easy for most people to pick up.
Pairing to a phone is an extremely easy process. Simply turning the unit on puts it in pairing mode and our phone found the H800 without a problem. The small LED ring around the Motorola logo indicates what status the hands-free is in. A red ring indicates that pairing is in process, while a blue ring shows everything is connected. The whole process takes about 30 seconds and is exactly as we've come to expect from such devices.
Aesthetics is another area where the H800 shines. With a slick black colour scheme and an almost space-age microphone that extends outwards from the unit at the touch of a button, it looks great and won't embarrass you in crowded public places. It comes with a variety of ear clips that cater to a range of different shapes. We found some fitted better than others, but they were all a little less comfortable than we'd like. They are constructed of soft rubber, which is fine for short phone sessions, but we found it dug-in if left on for a little while. This was our only complaints with the H800, and may not bother everyone, depending on how the clips fit your ears.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Belkin introduces 3.5mm Audio + Charge Rockstar compatible with new iPhone range
- Panasonic launches new Windows powered Toughpad
- Oppo release limited Barcelona FC version of R11 flagship
- 3SIXT Reveals iPhone X Offering
- ALDI Mobile Ups Stakes in the Telco Industry
PCW Evaluation Team
- Moto E4: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - CRMQLD
- CCTechnical Specialist - Java/OSB/BPELVIC
- FTJunior Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- TPTechnology Training and Service Desk AnalystVIC
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSolutions Architect (Enterprise Infrastructure)ACT
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- FTProcess Specialist x 2Other
- CCApplications Deployment/SupportQLD
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCJunior Business AnalystWA
- FTPortfolio Manager/ Process Methodology Manager.Other
- FT2 x Python Developers - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork Design EngineerOther
- FTMarketing Executive - Digital, Direct and Customer MarketingOther
- FTSenior Oracle DeveloperOther
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- CCProject SAP Asset CoordinatorNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSystems and Database AdministratorACT