Motorola VE538 mobile phone
Motorola's VE538 is an entry-level 3G mobile phone that offers excellent value for money.
- Size and design, value for money, interface, pre-installed apps
- No 3.5mm headphone jack, no volume control buttons, directional keys a little small
At this price, Motorola's VE538 is a steal. It's a great option if you looking at purchasing your first 3G mobile phone. It's particularly good for teenagers on a budget considering both the Planet 3 content portal and the preinstalled social networking applications.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Motorola's VE538 is a prepaid mobile phone available on 3 Mobile in Australia. It is a compact and affordable 3G mobile phone that provides decent features for its asking price.
The Motorola VE538 is a lightweight candybar mobile phone. It's one of the most compact phones we've seen recently, and the small size and rounded shape mean it fits comfortably in your hand. Despite how compact and light it is, the VE538 feels reasonably built and the etched circular pattern on the rear battery cover makes the mobile easy to grip.
The layout of the Motorola VE538 is fairly straightforward. It has a rather large screen considering the size of the phone, a five-way navigational pad and a raised keypad. There are no buttons on the sides or top of the handset, with the VE538 lacking volume control keys. The keypad stretches from edge to edge of the front fascia and provides good tactility, making long messages easy to type. The five-way navigational pad is comfortable for most part, though the directional keys are a little small.
Using the Motorola VE538 is a pleasant experience, thanks to a snappy and well-designed user interface. The main menu isn’t as visually appealing as many other mobile phones, but there is no lag and the design makes it easy to navigate. There is also no keystroke lag when text messaging and Motorola has refreshingly opted for the T9 predictive text input system, instead of its regular iTap system.
Given the low asking price, the Motorola has packed plenty of features into the VE538. It has a 2-megapixel camera, MP3 and video player applications and a basic Web browser; the VE538 also includes a suite of preinstalled applications. Among them are Google Search, YouTube, Gmail, Google Maps and ShoZu. ShoZu allows you to upload photos and videos to a number of online communities straight from your phone. It's compatible with Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, Blogger and YouTube, allowing you to instantly update your status and connect with other users. Being a 3 Mobile handset, the Motorola VE538 also offers access to the Planet 3 portal, which includes a wide range of content such as news, videos, ring tones, music and games.
The lack of a regular headphone jack is disappointing, especially for those looking to use the Motorola VE538 as a music player. Thankfully, a microSD card slot for extra storage and A2DP Bluetooth soften the blow. A VGA camera on the front allows video calls to be made, while PIM features consist of an alarm clock, calendar, calculator, stopwatch, sound recorder, world clock and a unit converter.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- MSI GE62 7RD Apache gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTProgram SchedulerVIC
- FTNetwork AdministratorQLD
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerQLD
- FTSystem Support Analyst, ERPNSW
- TPIT PMO LeadNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTsolution ArchitectNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst/Project Manager | PermanentQLD
- FTSenior .NET DevelopersSA
- CCSoftware DeveloperVIC
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMONSW
- FTSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- TPDigital ProducerVIC
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD