"I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it."
MP3Gain is a software tool that equalises MP3 volume levels.
- Levelling takes a long time
We run MP3Gain on all new music that gets added to our digital audio library — and if you want consistent levels of volume, so should you.
In their digital audio collection, most people have songs ripped from CDs, songs downloaded from countless online stores, and songs collected from, oh, let's say points unknown. Consequently, the volume levels are inconsistent across the library: some songs are too loud, some are too soft, and some are juuuuust right.
Fortunately, there's a simple remedy: MP3Gain, an oldie-but-goodie utility that equalises MP3 volume levels. It does so by modifying the appropriate metadata of each file so that music software and portable players know what the volume should be. Fortunately, it makes no changes to the actual music contained within each MP3, so there's no loss of sound quality.
After installing MP3Gain, click the Add Folder button and choose the folder containing your music. The software can analyse each individual track in your library or analyze by album.
The latter method will keep the volume consistent across each album, but if you often shuffle-play your entire music library, don't be surprised if the volume still spikes or sinks from one track to the next. This is largely a matter of personal preference, but we don't see a down side to the track-analysis method.
By default, MP3Gain strives for a volume level of 89 decibels, but you can change this value in the Target "Normal" Volume box. (We use 90, mostly because we like nice round numbers.) After that, click the Track Analysis button and be prepared to wait: the process takes time.
When it's done, you can review the results (the help file provides detailed descriptions of what everything means) or just go ahead and start the levelling procedure by clicking Track Gain. This will take even longer than the analysis — possibly hours, depending on the size of your library.
Interestingly, iTunes users can enable the Sound Check option in the Settings, Playback tab to accomplish the same thing: consistent volume levels across all songs. But in our experience it flat-out doesn't work.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- 2 Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- 3 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
- 4 Nokia 7 Plus review: Predictable and plus-sized
- 5 Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
Latest News Articles
- Bitdefender unveils new 2019 product line
- Opinion: Is Microsoft already killing off Windows 7?
- Google bring SMS to PCs with Android Messages for Desktop
- WWDC 2018: Apple gives us a first look at an all-new Mac App Store
- Budget 2018: Government seeks to boost Australian AI capabilities
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Amazon Prime Day 2018
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?