Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro
- Traffic-tracking and search engine optimisation tools, user-friendly
- Price, not suited to amateurs, additional renewal fee
As user-friendly as its predecessor, Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro is a well-designed program that enables small companies to create a basic Web presence with little hassle. It may fall between two market segments, however, offering a basic suite of tools that may frustrate ambitious businesses while pricing itself above home users. A bit of an enigma, then, but a high-calibre one that will suit a narrow group of users extremely well -- if they can stomach the pricey renewal fees.
Price$ 232.99 (AUD)
Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro is the expanded, 'professional' version of Mr Site's successful and ultra-simple Web site-creation tool.
Determined to take the jargon and baffling complexity out of Web design, Mr Site launched its Takeaway Website product last year to widespread acclaim. By reducing the creation of a site to six simple steps, Mr Site Takeaway Website enabled tech beginners and the time-poor to build a simple Web site with the bare minimum of trouble.
But we suspect the sailing may not be quite so plain for this, the expanded Pro edition of Takeaway Website. Admittedly Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro remains a wonderfully intuitive program -- if you're willing to keep things simple you can throw together and publish a multi-page site in an hour or less -- and some useful features have been added to the mix.
It's just that the small businesses that constitute Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro's target market are likely to find the results somewhat over-simple, while casual users can't be expected to shell out $232.99 -- even though hosting and domain name costs are taken care of.
As before, with Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro the six steps required to create a Web site are easy to follow. You visit Mr Site's own Web site, enter your activation code and choose a URL. If it's available, simply confirm your choice and get started.
You'll be offered a large array of design templates, background colours and fonts. Then you decide how many pages you want to have to start with, and type in some content. There are built-in tools for adding pictures and downloads.
Finally, hit publish and check out the results. You may have to wait 48 hours before the page goes live, but you can see what it's going to look like and tinker at your leisure.
The whole process is refreshingly user-friendly -- as long as you keep things basic. But once we started adding html coding, things got a bit more confused -- Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro's content management system showed a certain tendency to mess around with our code between sessions. This is a common problem with such simplified Web-development programs, but we'd been led to expect better from Mr Site Takeaway Website.
To woo would-be Web entrepreneurs, Mr Site has added some simple traffic-tracking and search engine optimisation tools, and Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro's e-commerce facilities have been upgraded. These are impressive and easy to implement.
The $232.99 price is a big step up from the basic version of Mr Site, but like that program it includes a year's ownership of the URL. There is an additional renewal fee every month, however, so you'll be shelling out the same again in year two.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
- Skype's major redesign prioritizes helpful bots and a smart camera over traditional video chats
- All-electric satellites are ushering in zippier in-flight internet access
- Why Microsoft's ARM-based Windows 10 laptops still have a lot to prove
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTPL/ SQL developerOther
- FTApplication Support Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- FTSenior Siebel Integrator/Developer - Canberra/MelbourneACT
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- FTData Storage Integration SpecialistACT
- FTETL TesterACT
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTSAP Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Systems EngineerOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTReporting Analyst | 6mth ContractOther
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTIntegration Specialist - TIBCOOther
- FTHR Project Officer (Workforce Planning)Other
- FTMarketing Content Writer - Tenders & SocialNSW
- FTIT Project SchedulerOther
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTPractise Manager - SecurityVIC