- Great image quality, light, minimalist
- Lacks detail in some areas, doesn't include speakers, no HDMI connection
The PX-42XR3W may offer too few amenities to satisfy many consumers. But its great image quality and low price make it a fine choice for people who want to hook up their set to an external HDTV tuner.
Price$ 6,999.00 (AUD)
This is the panel for image geeks. It has very good image quality, and outstanding HDTV display.
Its detail and colour quality are near the top of the range for plasma TVs. On an HDTV clip from a classic car show, for instance, it captured the rich, deep red of a sports car and crisply displayed the glossy chrome bars of the auto's front grille without any shimmering effect. The NEC experienced no problems with any HDTV formats sent through its digital video input.
But the NEC is just a monitor. It lacks speakers and TV-tuning capabilities; you need to team it with an over-the-air receiver or a cable or satellite box to enjoy its fine HDTV performance.
You don't get the best set of connection options, either. The PX-42XR3W lacks a connector for HDMI cables, having instead a single bulky DVI port for digital hookups. The next-best option is its two sets of component inputs.
The monitor's design is quite plain, as well. The screen has just a simple thin frame (available in silver or charcoal grey). A relative featherweight at only 29.5kg, it should provide less of a mounting challenge than most of its competitors.
The bare-bones design and quirky connectors hint at NEC's traditional role as a maker of displays for commercial and corporate use. That's also evident in the included documentation--a thin booklet that might suffice for IT professionals or video types--and in the on-screen display. The interface is a simple, text-based affair without snazzy icons or other fancy features, but the layout is clear and easy to navigate.
The menus offer a high level of control. For instance, the PX-42XR3W includes gamma control, which lets users adjust the rate at which brightness ramps up from dark to light and is helpful for refining shadow detail at medium brightness levels. This set is also one of few to permit fine-tuning of colour levels, in this case allowing users to balance the levels of primary (red, green, blue) and secondary (cyan, magenta, yellow) colours.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Everything Samsung Just Announced At IFA 2017
- First Look: LG's Signature Range
- Samsung's squashing of malicious Tizen smart TV bugs is turning messy
- Sony shows off its new OLED and LCD TVs, video projector, and Bluetooth speakers
- Sony’s Bravia XBR-A1E OLED could be the first flat-screen TV with sound that doesn’t suck
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Canon 6D MK II
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which case should I buy for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSalesforce Business AnalystNSW
- FTImplementation ManagerOther
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- CCICT Desktop Support OfficerACT
- CCSAP CRM Functional Consultants - Multiple rolesWA
- CCMultiple Business AnalystsACT
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BankingVIC
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Integrated Care ProgramQLD
- CCAgile Business Analyst - BrisbaneQLD
- CCCall or Contact Centre OperatorNSW
- TPProject Manager - 3 days per weekQLD
- FTSolution Architect **Telecommunications Products** $800 per dayOther
- FTOracle WebLogic Administrator- Banking backgroundOther
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTCampaign AnalystOther
- FTSystems Engineering Design Acceptance LeadACT
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW
- CCLevel 2-3 Desktop SupportWA
- FTSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTEnterprise Security ArchitectOther
- CCAutomation Developer ? Linux Dev Ops EngineerNSW