Nik Software Dfine 2.0
- Very effective at noise reduction, includes both automatic and manual tools, much better than Photoshop's own filer
- Niche tool, zoom lacks options
Dfine 2.0 is an excellent, if niche, plug-in, worth having in your collection even if you only use it on the odd occasion.
Price$ 190.00 (AUD)
Dfine is a Photoshop plug-in that eschews bells-&-whistles for a tight feature set focused on a single task – removing noise from photographs.
Dfine offers two ways of working. First, you can work on the whole image in a plug-in dialogue box. The first step is to measure the level of noise automatically, or by manually selecting points of noise. You can then adjust the Contrast Noise and Color Noise settings to reduce variations in brightness and shade.
We were impressed by Dfine's fast, automatic reduction of noise. This feature has been improved in version 2.0 with more functions. These include horizontal and vertical split views to see before-&-after effects, and the ability to view individual RGB or luminance/chrominance channels to prejudge what settings to go for.
Also new in Dfine 2.0 are U Point Control Points, which allow noise reduction to be applied selectively to objects in your scene, which Dfine makes a decent job of identifying.
The only complaint is minor. The Zoom tool has three settings only: fit, 100 per cent and 300 per cent. With hi-res images such as our 10Mp test shots, you are likely to want to zoom in a tad, but not to 100 per cent.
The automated process will make most images usable, but if you're dealing with a particularly poor photo or need to improve an image for cosmetic reasons, Dfine provides manual painting tools.
There are four tools: Paint, Erase, Fill and Clear. The tools' properties are governed by the type of effect selected: Skin, Background, Sky, Hot Pixels, Shadows, Fine Structures and Strong Noise. Most types of noise can be easily dealt with one or other of these tools.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Monster Hunter World review
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPWeb Content Publisher (VPS4/5) - Government sectorVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- TPPrincipal Project Officer - HealthQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness / Data AnalystOther
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityACT
- FTService Delivery CoordinatorVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorOther
- CCLead Developer - BrisbaneNSW
- CCDigital DesignerNSW
- FTQA EngineerNSW
- CCHadoop DeveloperACT
- FTPeopleSoft Business AnalystNSW
- FTLead Business Analyst - Senior Digital ConsultantACT
- FTOperational Risk ManagerNSW
- TPJunior Business AnalystWA
- CCIntegration/DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTLearning & Development CoordinatorOther
- FTSnr MS SQL Developer- Australian only- security clearanceOther
- FTDatabase Designer and AdministratorOther
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Product MigrationOther
- CCSenior Procurement ManagerNSW
- FTSAP Functional Analyst x 4. HCM ProgramOther
- FTConsulting Java DeveloperQLD